• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurate is a folding leaf sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OB OBrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any one of you guys use a folding leaf rear sight on your rifles. If so, how accurate is it, at what ranges. I don't know if I'm asking this question right or not.:hmm: But what I'm thinking is using he tall leaf at 25 yards, the middle leaf at 50 and the short one at 100 yards, or something like that. I guess? :idunno: What do you experts think?
Thanks OB

The only experience that I have with a folding leaf site is the one on my Euroarms Enfield .577. I have never fired it past 100 yards and have not had to "unfold" it. It stays rested on the 100 yard "hump" if viewed from the side. A 60 grain charge of 2fg will give quite a trajectory to a 530 grain cast minnie. That round will be about 5-6 inches high at 50 yards and pretty much dead on at 100 yards. I have heard of others folding their sites up and making contact with targets 2 and 300 yards away. I would think that the distances would have to be known to really have any success at those ranges.

OB OBrien said:
how accurate is it, at what ranges.

Depends, how accurate is your eye, when it comes to sight alignment?

OB OBrien said:
But what I'm thinking is using he tall leaf at 25 yards, the middle leaf at 50 and the short one at 100 yards, or something like that. I guess? :idunno: What do you experts think?
Thanks OB

Not an expert, but IMHO, the reverse is true, of you sight settings. The lower leaf would be for closer range, the mid length leaf for mid range, and the tall leaf for long range.

As to which leaf is zeroed for what range? Depends on the height of the sights, your eye, stock weld, powder charge, and bullet. So the only real answer is to shoot it at varying ranges to see what it does.

IMHO, the lowest sight setting is probably zeroed for 100 yards, the others, who knows?

God bless

I think you have it backwards although I have never used one. I would think the short one for shorter distance and the tall one for longer distance! :)

I have a 50/70 1864 U.S.Springfield trap door rifle that has the 3 level folding sight arrangement. Shoots a 630 grain bullet. Lower leaf at 100, middle 200 and tall 300.

OB OBrien said:
I'm wondering if any one of you guys use a folding leaf rear sight on your rifles. If so, how accurate is it, at what ranges. I don't know if I'm asking this question right or not.:hmm: But what I'm thinking is using he tall leaf at 25 yards, the middle leaf at 50 and the short one at 100 yards, or something like that. I guess? :idunno: What do you experts think?
Thanks OB

I have a Trail Guns Armory .58 double rifle which has one front sight and two folding rear sights. One raises the sight for that barrel and folds the sight for the other barrel. I have shot this rifle quite extensively and it shoots as good as when new. I only punish myself by shooting 150 gr. FFg with a Minie ball. This rifle was made for shooting big game in Africa. I purchased it to go to Zimbabwe, but did not make the trip. Have I shot deer with this, well, yes. Over kill? Yes.

To answer the other question, I have my longest kill is at about 150~160 yards. My eye sight is not as good now.

Now, I only use my .62 flintlock which also lets the deer know I am knocking at their door, (at shorter ranges).

Oooups. I'm sorry I did have it backwards. That's what I was looking for, the 100, 200 and 300 yard, sight picture. Would be great to find and put one on my 50 cal Hawkin. I have a bid in for a 58 cal Zouave reproduction gun and it has the folding sights on it. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it.
You guys are amazing.
Thanks for the help.
OB

Google Persoli Muzzleloaders, they have a couple of styles of 3 leaf sights that you maybe could make work. The short leaf is fixed and the other 2 fold!

My Zouave has the folding leave sights that are made to get the minie in there somewhere between the hat and the fly. I've been working at cobbling up a drop-in peep replacement 'cause I want something that will let me hit up and down as good as back and forth. Elevation is the only problem I've run into with folding leafs.

I've seen a few people with modified leafs (peeps) who did very well at 50 and 100 yards.

You might try searching on Express Sights. These were typically installed on big game rifles. They have anywhere from three to five leaves. Most look pretty sleek but they are also rather pricey. Brownells probably carries one.

WOW; Those look fantastic. Now all I gotta do is save up some moolah to get a set.
Thanks for the link.
Keep shootin
OB
PS; If I had those on my 50 with the new GM barrel I could reach out and get that ram up on the mountain top here in Pensacola. :rotf:

I've never seen an express sight with a tangent feature. Kind of overkill on a muzzle loader. Have seen some with up to five leaves. Let's see, $449 sight on my $100 bargain T/C...... Naw....besides, it's a smooth bore.

Here's a site that offers express sights and also a bit of info on what's required to prepare them.
http://www.z-hat.com/express_sights.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Feather. More great info. Another fine looking set of sights. And they are custom fitted to your rifle.
Thanks
OB

Folding leaf sights for different ranges were common practice in Britain and Europe, particularly for safari firearms. They are quite as accurate as the open sight shooter.

British sportsmen (and Europeans in general) held a preference for a quick second shot over the very-high accuracy often favored by Americans. The latter is more useful when trying for a cross canyon shot, the former when the cape Buffalo (or big cat) turns directly toward you.

Back