• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how accurate is the "patriot"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the time the movie came out, the Brits were outraged at that church burning scene, to the point where the director responded, "we know it didn't happen, but the Brits did burn churches, and that was as horrible event in that time period as what we showed is today...people have become inured to cruelty" I've paraphrased his remarks, but it at least explains its intent. I know the movie was not really a documentary, but I thought it was pretty good...Hank

Well I'm sure the fowling piece used in the movie was done right!

It was made by our own Mike Brooks.
:thumbsup:

patriot-214.jpg

What else was very interesting about this scene? The old church and grave yard in the swamp mostly under water. This was where he was casting the balls. This if you recall looked like an old Limestone church.

I happen to be there, it was near a small town,Monks Corner, SC. I think it was in a swamp on Lake Moultre. Can't recall all the details. The funny thing about it was, the whole place was made not of stone. It was made of white packing foam.

It sure looks real in film. :rotf:

Hi,I went back and watched the" how we made the movie" short and listened to the audio commentary by the director and producer.This is what they said; the tories never burned an occupied church but did burn occupied houses so they felt justified to include this scene.Also Gibson's character was based on Marion,Sumpter and one or two other characters.The Frenchmen was loosely based on Lafayette etc.I still like the movie but the Frenchmen's only similarity to Lafayette is that they were both born in France.It's a good movie and stimulated me to do some reasearch which never happened in school.Regards,Mike

Walter Edgars happened to do a guest spot on a local (Charleston, SC) radio program last week, and they devoted a good half hour to that movie. Really interesting stuff. He seemed to get a kick out of how the movie-makers took great pride in some of the little things they got right, while totally ignoring glaring inaccuracies.

As to the burnings, he claims they often burned churches - called them "sedition houses" - but never with people in them. Lot's of houses, though. With people in them. And as others here have said, the worst brutalities were committed by the partisans.

Rebels and Redcoats is a good book on the war in the SC backcountry.

(BTW: did y'all know that Tarleton went home with honors to England, and even served in Parliament?)

Homesteader said:
(BTW: did y'all know that Tarleton went home with honors to England, and even served in Parliament?)

And is so depicted in the film "Amazing Grace"....fighting to keep the Slave Trade legal!
Steve

PaulN/KS said:
It's a movie...
They did a bit of homework as to costumes and such and there are a few of "our own" as extras so, all in all, not bad for a "movie"...
"aim small miss small"
:grin:

it's a movie, and i love it.

The makers of the movie have never claimed that this was the all out historical truth. So I don't see a problem with the movie. I just wish there woule have been some sort of disclaimer at the beginning, like Oliver Stone's Nixon. That would at lest let ignorant people know the movie is not 100% truth.

Wymess (sp?) is supposed to have set fire to a cabin with a woman and small child inside, then held the doors shut. The woman and child escaped once the fire got hot enough do drive the troopers away.

Some good books to read are:
John Buchanan, The Road to Guilford Courthouse
Michael Scoggins The Day it Rained Militia

there is also Walter Edgar's Partisans and Redcoats, and Hank Messick's King's Mountain. Those two are easier reading, but may not be as accurate.

march1781 said:
I have seen this movie like a thousand times and awalys have wanted to know how accurate this movie is and exactly what some of these battles are in the movie.

Do you mean "Mad Max Wins the Revolution"?
Tom Patton

Back