• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurate was the film "Northwest Passage"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky911

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I love that movie from 1940.

Have any of you wondered about it's historical accuracy?

From what they actually did or from the historical accurateness of their clothing, weapons, etc?

I think the film is not very acurate from the clothing, weapons, etc side of the house. But, I am by no means an expert on all of that. Tons of people here on the forum that know way more about that than me.

As for the mission. Accuracy was okay. The ending at old Ft Wentworth was all wrong, though. They actually arrived there and no one was there to meet them. Lt Stephens had just left. Rogers and two Rangers had to go down to Ft #4 and send back food and supplies. A few more rangers died while awaiting the supplies.

Accounts of the fight and the numbers killed on both sides are still argued today. Rogers' said in his journal, "About seven o'clock in the morning the affair was completely over, in which time we had killed at least two hundred Indians and taken twenty of their women and children prisoners, fifteen of whom I let go their own way, and five I brought with me, namely, two Indian boys and three Indian girls. I likewise retook five English captives."

There were seven wounded and one killed from the Rangers. Many more were killed on the trek back to the Connecticut River.

The Abenaki's claim that there were mostly only women and children and a few men in camp when they were attacked at St Francis.

Rogers claimed that there were "about six hundred" English scalps at St Francis. The Abbe Maurault, who was a missionary at St frnacis prior to the raid put the number at seven hundred but many believe these numbers are exaggerated.

Like most battles, really hard to say exactly what happened.

Great sources of info in Brumwell's "White Devil" as well as Parkman's "Montcalm and Wolfe."

Either way, it's a great movie :thumbsup:

I guess I am more interested in the events and journey being accurate than who was wearing the right buckskins.

I appreciate the info, I will look into the "white devil" source. I am currently fascinated with this time of American history

Once you get past the bellhop uniforms and the screwy ending which never happened, it's not that bad a movie! No one really knows what Rogers Rangers wore and Hollywood just took a guess. One of my favorite parts was the man going crazy and telling his comrades "I'll eat your head too" :v

I appreciate the info said:
I, also, love this time period in the history of America.

You should check out Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans" if you haven't already. The first 5 to 10 pages are sooooo slow but then it is just awesome. I also had a hard time putting down "White Devil." I thought it was just a great read.

Not sure where you are living but this summer Ft Ticondaroga is putting on a 250th Anniversary Re-enactment in NY the last weekend in June. I am taking leave from Korea and going home to watch it. Should be really cool.

Doc

I liked "Last of the Mohicans" but you are right, the long speeches were hard to get through

That is one of my favorite movies as well. Growing up my dad and I would watch it whenever it was on TV. Being from New England it had a deeper meaning especially since we would vacation during the summertime quite often in the White Mountains.

I believe a group of reinactors retraced the path that Roger's Rangers took . Knowing how rough and boggy the terrain is that is an accomplishment.

Personally, I would like to know where they filmed the movie. I know some of the terrain looks like northern New England but some things don't seem to add up, so to speak.

Hi,this is my favorite book and my favorite movie.If any one is interested Kenneth Roberts has a series of books and they're all good and still in print."Arundle' and "Rabble in Arms" are as good as "NW Passage".A biography of Spencer Tracy states that the movie was filmed in Washington state,but Idaho may be right?I have read that the uniforms were made up.Not the green buckskins as much as the hats.Also Burt Loescher has a series of books on the Rangers available thru Log Cabin Shop printed by Heritage Books.I love American History,because we're the Good Guys. :thumbsup: Regards,Mike

Back