• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do i fix this butt plate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhower

32 Cal.
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I purchased a Lyman GPR kit that was half way done and botched for $150. I just kind of finished up the kit and fixed one or two things. It's been a great rifle over the years and its my go to beater hunting deer rifle.

I've wanted to put a slightly more traditional butt pad on the end but havent figured out something that looks better. This is one that came on the gun when I bought it. What can i do here that would make this thing look a little more traditional? What is the standard length between the butt plate and trigger? Sorry for the bad cell phone pics, all i had to take pictures.

2012-09-24_12-48-10_973_zps1cd92e00.jpg

2012-09-24_12-48-40_492_zpsf38fcb7f.jpg

2012-09-24_12-49-07_381_zpsc6718435.jpg

You may can fit a flatter TC Hawken style plate or a shotgun style or Renegade plate. You may barely have room for GPR plate with some doable but tedious modification. You may can just cut a flat steel plate and fit it.

Honestly it's a lot of work for little gain " ill fitting plate installed with lots of work" or no gain, " stock shortened too mutch it has to be scrapped.

It is what it is. I suggest you keep it as a hunter and shooter.
If you have an interest in building rifles, you may want to look in to a "kit".
If you want to just have a more traditional rifle you may want to look in to purchasing a new or used one.

+1. Only other thing is to add a piece of walnut to the back of the existing stock, pegging it in place, and adding a conventional buttplate to that. It could have been done in the day on a used rifle that was too short for the new user.

what is your length of pull??? You might be able to salvage the stock! My GPR with the factory stock is 14 1/2 " in the deepest part of the butt plate to the trigger.You would be loosing the toe and part of the top over hang on the stock you have...OR just contact Lyman and order a new stock and cut to the chase.If you decide to go with a new stock it's item 26 on page 23 of the Owners Manual part number 6030208 for the right handed stock. and the Butt plate is item #1 part number 6030201, screws part number 6030202,, the toe plate is part # 6030203
either way the GPR I have is a great shooter.
The DEERSTALKER or the Mustang Breakaway 209. by Lyman has a butt plate,recoil pad that might just be your out of this problem.The DEERSTALKER is closer to what you have now.The part # FOR THE BUTT PLATE IS 6993107,item # 14 on page 27 O/M

Back