• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you fix a sticking patch box?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobrakommander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a wood patch box on my rifle that is a real pain to slide open. What's the best way to remedy this? I have to tap it open and don't want to ding it up.

A little judiciously applied fine sandpaper on the dovetail.
But remember, the only thing worse, is one that's too loose!
Fit and try, fit and try till you get what you want.
Humidity will affect the fit as well.
Does it fit ok in the winter? If so, leave it a little snug when fitting.

not sure how it does in the winter as I haven't had it but a month. I will try some wax and the sandpaper if the wax dosen't free it up a bit.
thanks. :thumbsup:

If there's a lot of humidity where you're at, go slow w/ the sandpaper....when it's dryer, it could be loose. Try some wax first.

I think that's one of the reasons why hinged brass Pboxes became popular....also the wooden
Pboxes could fall out and get lost. They do look nice, though.....Fred

I would look at the lid well & the scuff marks will indicate where it is rubbing tight. Take a fingernail emery board & using the fine side, sand a little with the emeryboard on the scuff marks on the lid & on the dovetail in the stock & relieve a little finish there.
If you use a emeryboard you can control exactly where you want to sand & not accidentally scratch up the stock.
Or you can glue some 220 or 320 Wet/Dry autobody paper on to a popsickle stick & do same thing. Then wax it well & may want too try a lil patch grease on the contact areas.

The dovetail of a patchbox is a easy place for finish to puddle, so it just may be too much finish in a certain spot.

Keith Lisle

I think the sanding and wax have done the trick. Here in Ga it is pretty humid so if its OK now maybe it will be fine all year round now.

There is a good reason why they were replaced by the brass box.
I have often wondered why those things were not fit with a light spring of some sort to keep them from being loose.

The normal retaining spring, if adjusted properly should take up any up and down slack, but it still needs enough clearance front to rear for expansion/contraction. I was thinking of maybe a small light leaf spring at the front of the box that would catch on the underside of the lid. I've never seen evidence of such, so maybe it is not really a problem.

Back