• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you get deer ribs off deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chance

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I was needing help on what yall do to cut the ribs out of deer once you killed it. I was wanting to try my hand a roasting deer ribs. I know you got to cut along the spine but with what.

I use a hand meat saw. It looks like a large hacksaw. Some guys use a plain old handsaw usd for wood. And some will buy a new harbor feight sawzall and use it only for meat processing.

crowkiller said:
I use a hand meat saw. It looks like a large hacksaw.

Yup, `bout the same as a wood blade but the teeth are farther apart so they don't gum up so fast.
A wood cutting hand saw works in a pinch
(wood blade in a hack saw is shorter and easiler to control) but you'll know the difference if ya ever git to handle
a true Meat Saw.

I tried bbqing deer ribs one time and they smelled awesome but then after smelling them cook low and slow for a few hours the taste was a lot less than the out come that I had hoped for. I don't do anything with them now. Others my have better results than me. But the use of a meat saw is what I have always used for butchering game

I've always thought the ribs were the best eating on most game animals. I've had bears that weren't that good but the ribs were still a- okay.
You can split the backbone with a saw or hatchet. If you then cut the ribs in half you end up with normal length ribs and rib roast-chops. Since a deer is a pretty small animal, if you have two guys, split the back bone and don't do anything else, you have really long ribs. Run a spit through them and prop them up to a campfire and roast- so you get the smoke, etc. Use appropriate wood. You ought to have some fine eating.

For Deer and Moose i use my hatchet to cut along the backbone and to split the brisket with. A sharp hatchet makes short work of ribs. This is what i do in the field to get them out. Once at home when i start proccessing the meat, i use a sawzall to make a nice clean cut for packaging.

Chance,
Hacksaw,mitersaw,whatever it takes.Just seperate the ribs from the spine.Then you have the choice of short ribs or other.Either choice will work depending on your cooking methed.

Back