• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you knap a flint??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfulmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know what it means to knap the flint, but what are the preferred methods you guys use?

Dan F. said:
I know what it means to knap the flint, but what are the preferred methods you guys use?

Usually people will use piece of brass (can't cause a spark) or part of a musket tool to tap on the edge of the flint, striking it on the edge and slightly from the top. This will chip off little pieces of flint and leave what looks like a serrated edge. There are various tools that people like to use and I'm sure they'll post them here. The method works well.

I like to hammer the flint by slightly opening the frizzen (hammer) and lowering the cock until it just contacts the bottom edge of the frizzen. Then holding the frizzen in place, pull the cock back into full position (full-cock) and fire it. This will pull off a full length chip and you're ready to go. Obviously, DO NOT do this with a loaded gun, even if the pan is empty. This is really a quick and easy method to use.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

They had a bunch of post on here on how. I made one of the tools they showed out of a big flat nail,the old ones. Haven't used it yet. If you look on my post(handmade custom fintlok) I use the T tool I showed in pictures. Its in flintlock rifles.Fourm. Dilly

Who is doing the moderating around here? I put up a post in the flint lock section on how to knap a flint and it gets moved to the craftsman section??? #1/ Who ever is doing the moderation is being very anal and #2/ I did not ask how to create (make a flint) but rather how to knap, sharpen or freshen a flint. I have been on many a discussion forum and the thing that makes them great is freedom and the free flow of ideas. This does not happen when an outsider (moderator) interjects their opinion of what the writer thinks they want. This post was in the flintlock section because that is where my fellow shooters chat and post their FLINTLOCK related questions and thoughts. Please put this post back where it belongs!!!

I suspect the post belongs where it was originaly put, on the other hand the moderators are volunteers doing the best they can and may not always hit 100%.

Dan F. said:
Who is doing the moderating around here? I put up a post in the flint lock section on how to knap a flint and it gets moved to the craftsman section??? #1/ Who ever is doing the moderation is being very anal and #2/ I did not ask how to create (make a flint) but rather how to knap, sharpen or freshen a flint. I have been on many a discussion forum and the thing that makes them great is freedom and the free flow of ideas. This does not happen when an outsider (moderator) interjects their opinion of what the writer thinks they want. This post was in the flintlock section because that is where my fellow shooters chat and post their FLINTLOCK related questions and thoughts. Please put this post back where it belongs!!!

to me knapping a flint is a craft, so they put it here thinking so too, just maybe....maybe ya should figure out where yer posts belong so they don't get moved to where they should be, just maybe :hmm: :v .............bob

"to me knapping a flint is a craft,"

touching up a flint is about as much a craft as placing a cap on a nipple.....making flints is another story.

The back of my belt knife, or in certain cases, the bottom edge of the frizzen.

Latest posts

Back