• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you prep your hunting gun for

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
wet conditions.

As I post this the rain is coming down in buckets, so to speak.

In the past I would tape the muzzle of my Hawken and put a little plastic ring on the nipple and percussion cap. Worked pretty well for wet conditions. I now use a muzzleloader with a musket cap nipple but can't find those rubber rings for the nipple. I thought of hot wax from a candle or maybe making some rings of my own from some sort of tubing.

So what do you do when it pours?

bigbore442001 said:
wet conditions.

As I post this the rain is coming down in buckets, so to speak.

In the past I would tape the muzzle of my Hawken and put a little plastic ring on the nipple and percussion cap. Worked pretty well for wet conditions. I now use a muzzleloader with a musket cap nipple but can't find those rubber rings for the nipple. I thought of hot wax from a candle or maybe making some rings of my own from some sort of tubing.

So what do you do when it pours?
If its REALLY pouring, what I do is keep my muzzleloader right next to me inside the warm dry house where I remain, drinking coffee, etc.
:grin:

But for going out in any rain I'd hunt in, the simplist thing I've found to keep my Flintlock dry and ready to fire is to just keep the lock area up under my coat or rain gear...

One time I got in my head that had to hunt during a very cold, very rainy opening week.

I put my New Englander in a kitchen trash bag poked holes for the sights and used rubber bands to hold it tight to the barrel. The bag went a little past the trigger guard and had a draw string. I put my hand in and pulled it tight and held it with my thumb.

When I fired it it smelled god awful. Got a deer got, got to gut it in the rain, drag it back to camp and had to disassemble my rifle to clean/ oil it to prevent rust.

I was very proud of myself and questioned the manhood of my fellow stay-in hunters.

That was a nylon stocked gun I named Noah after that.

I also got very sick. I never did it again.

Now I mostly agree with roundball.

Sorry missed the last part. I tape the muzzle and wrap the lock area in Saran wrap to protect my musket caps.
:v

Had luck with a small piece of sandwich baggie (cut in .5" squares) under my musket cap and over the nipple...Does NOT affect ignition at all.

I do lots of hunting in the rain. I wax the gun, tape the muzzle and add a knee. In the field I keep the muzzle down and the lock under my arm as added protection. It works well, and hunting is sure better and easier with the woods quiet and everyone else at home.

Figure it out for your own right, and get on out there. You'll be really glad you did.

I tape the muzzle and use my own version of a Kap Kover , which is a .357 case cut down and placed over the nipple with the hammer resting on it.

I've never had a problem, I do sometimes smear some patch lube around the nipples and then put the caps on. Sometimes all over the caps but usually the shooting is to frequent, if I was waiting for hours then I would grease them.
The last time I was in heavy rain I got in an old barn for a break and propped the gun up safe and as I drank from the flask noticed water running down the barrels and dripping off the capped nipples! I thought the next shots 'll be interesting but it fired just the same!

Brit.

For me PGTMG has a good solution. I tape the muzzle and wrap the lock in eran wrap. Do the other precautions also like try to keep the rain off the rifle if possible. For me that is under a poncho. The rifle fires through the Seran Wrap so all you have to do is find a target and shoot.
Fox :thumbsup:

PS: Don't know if I would do this with flintlock as plastic might burn you.

I have not been brave enough to bring out my wood guns. If I do I will be trying you suggestions.

I have only tried the Saran wrap thing with percussion guns. I don't think it will work with flintlocks and if it does you may have a second problem Silverfox noticed. :thumbsup:

I've been hunting in the same storm.

I make sure the barrel is spotless clean/dry and light coat of bore butter in bore. A dab of never-sieze on the nipple threads before I put the clean nipple on.

Lubed felt wad on top of powder. After seating the load I re-coat the inside of the barrel with a lubed patch.

The melted candle wax on the nipple works great. I coat the whole capped nipple and it's base except where the hammer hits.

Duct tape on the end of the barrel. :thumbsup:

Wax in the barrel channel/behind the lock and a cows-knee. Check the prime often and change every so often (flintlock only). The rest of the gun gets wiped with a rag occasionally to keep it somewhat dry-ish....

Rain is that wet stuff that falls out of a gray sky for either short periods of time or like the past week two days in a row for 2-4 inches of rain. That flooded the swamp area that I hunt in. Had to hopscotch little islands to get to the treestand.

It is predicted that we will get more of that stuff this week during muzzleloader season. :shocked2:

The big bucks will hide on those little islands.

Hip boot or waders might help getting a trophy.

Good luck!!!

Yeah,

I'm thinkin Roundball is the smartest hunter goin for this idea. Plus, coffee always taste better when It's raining outside....the harder it rains, the better it taste.

But, if I do venture out, I cover the flint with a treated piece of leather tethered to the gun's trigger guard so I can just flick it off. I also keep the frizzen, flint & pan clean and dry with a small alcohol patch. Alcohol cleans all powder residue away and that's what attracts moisture. But those little packs at your local drug store.

Dave

Back