• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you store your powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D Hoffman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
We are stocking up on lead, patch material, caps for my son and knapped flints as well as flint nodules and powder. I have a old army morter shell case steel case brass and copper lined to reduce sparks this is inside a wood box. holds 32 one pound cans.Powder safes are pricy any other ideas?

I converted an old refrigerator into an ammo and powder locker. I placed vents in the door to reduce moisture and placed absorbent material inside. This is fire resistant due to the metal shell and insulation and has a plastic lining so no sparks.

That is a darned good idea. I have always seen moisture and never thought of vents.

Geo. T.

Sounds neat but superflous.
It won't jump up and self ignite if sitting on a shelf.
I have about 35 pounds sitting on a shelf in my shop. Hasn't caused trouble yet. Really, no special precautions are needed.

I, too, use a large XGI steel ammo box, lined with wood - stored outside my home (in a locked backyard shed), along with the jerry cans of gas for my lawn mower & generator.

The ammo box is lockable, and moisture proof due to the box's sealing gasket.
I know that one wall of a powder storage box should be weaker than the other walls, to allow for expansion/etc - but I haven't had an issue with the sealed steel case since I started using it/them in the 70's.

I additionally painted the outside fire engine red, and also added "Explosive" in large white letters to the sides/top.

I have several pounds of black powder and I just keep it in the original cans in a cabinet in the garage.

Marking it is a catch 22. If a kid breaks in the storage shed he is going to take anything marked EXPLOSIVE. Then it is not only stolen but in the hands of some one that may make a very bad decision. If its not marked then some one that should know may not.

My dad was helping me move one time and kept getting stuff I told him not to. He keep smoking even thought I ask him not to. He came out of my garage with a cigarette in his mouth and a milk crate full of 1 lb smokless powder cans. I made him quite helping me and somehow his mistake was my fault. If I remember right the move went much smother after he left.

I have my powder stored in three places. Most in the original case in the chicken house, some in the barn in an old fridge, and about four lbs in the shop on the shelf in either the original cans or in the powder horns. As long as it kept dry and not exposed to high temps it will keep longer than you will!

I have a black ponder storage magazine from the Maine Powder House.
It locks, has wheels, and is painted red. It will hold 50 lbs.

Several pounds in horns, several more in the cellar in the cans to refill the horns. The main supply is in an inside closet (with louvered doors) in the shipping cardboard containers they arrive in. If it goes up at least the cardboard containers won't hold in the force to make it a bomb and blow solid pieces all over.

Amazing!
We are only allowed to store 3 kilos (6 lbs) and it must be in a locked steel cabinet/safe, separate from any weapons (kept in their own locked steel safe).

And heaven help you if anyone else in the family knows how to open the safe(s)!!

flintlock62 said:
I have a black ponder storage magazine from the Maine Powder House.
It locks, has wheels, and is painted red. It will hold 50 lbs.

:thumbsup: Safe and legal.

Really, no special precautions are needed.

For the powder no...., for the local authorities... YES. I can't have more than 5 lbs. of modern or black powder in my townhouse..., so I have a storage location outside, locked, it's dry and cool, and if my karma gets really bad and it "goes up" it won't do more than crack windows, and shower the area with splinters.

LD

Latest posts

Back