• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you wear your kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a historical persona or clothing. I just wear my clothes. I wear my bag and horn on the right. Horn high enough to sit atop the bag, both on separate straps. Range sessions, I take everything. It's controlled and for controlled purposes, why lack? For hunting I don't take all the little tools. A few balls, some powder, patching and lube. In a perfect world hunting big game is one or two shots. Small game 5-10. A vent pick and flint hammer could be needed for an all day hunt. I wear a priming horn too, but try to keep the horns out of the line of fire when actually shooting. If I was genuinely long-hunting it would be different. As it is, I basically carry my stuff as a gentleman of leisure what does some shooting occasionally.

BTW: there are knives in my pouches, but no sheaths sewn onto pouches.

I guess I'm different. I'm right handed and wear my bag on the right but horn on the left. Some how it's more comfortable having the measure in my right hand and horn in my left.
I’m right handed but tend to use my left pocket more. Keys, pens, pocket knife and change all go in my left pocket. Only my cell phone goes in right.
Done this all my life. So when I started ml I put bag and horn on left side. Then I saw most at events and most paintings of folks with it on the right, so I switched
And had a learning curve till I got used to it on the right.
I’m pretty sure that inspite of paintings folks did what was comfortable. And you do see some photos after the 1870s well up to the Second World War in Appalachia and the Ozarks with kits on the left.

Back