• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How does one Bark a squirrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brstevns

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I have asked a lot of questions on this forum some maybe silly. I still am not sure about how to bark a squirrel. :idunno:

Well ya clip the limb under the squirrel when shooting it. Usually when it is layin on the limb ya shoot the the limb under the head that is how to bark a squirrel. That is a simple explanation of it. :hatsoff:

I never have, but... Supposedly if you can place a ball just under a squirrel where it chips the limb but doesn't touch the squirrel, the squirrel will be stunned or killed. I'd think a head shot would be easier.

I did it once years ago by accident. While hunting Vermont many Moons ago I watched an Ermine run into a hollow tree and stick his head out of a hole in it. I shot just under his head figuring I'd shoot through the wood into his chest. Well he fell out onto the snow at the bottom of the tree and I found a splinter from the inside of the tree struck him in the throat.

The idea is to shoot low enough under the head of a squirrel stretched out on a branch, so that the ball throws a chunk of bark up into the squirrel's jaw, snapping its head back hard enough to break its neck, or cause death through shock to the brain.

Hence, "Barking a squirrel". The idea was that you didn't do any actual damage to the squirrel, while killing it. I have never understood the virtue in killing a squirrel but not damaging/harming the head. :surrender: :idunno: :thumbsup:

People used to routinely eat the brains of squirrels. That was my grandmothers favorite part. If they are head shot you have no greasy brains to eat.

paulvallandigham said:
I have never understood the virtue in killing a squirrel but not damaging/harming the head.

It's the Brain, in some local cultures it's considered quite delectable :wink:
It's really how you were raised, chittlens, crayfish, tripe, hocks, headcheese.

I'll bet you could go to just about any part of the country and find common table fare that wouldn't be touched in another part :nono: :grin:
Heck, I live in Minnesota and I still can't figer out how those folks can eat lutefisk :barf:

When I was starting out in muzzleloading, I read in a book that our early ancestors would "bark" a squirrel so they could retrieve the lead ball from the tree and re-melt it so they could make another round ball. They just had to make sure to shoot the squirrel low enough on the tree so they could dig out the ball.

Shooting somewhere close to the head was probably the fastest way to kill the squirrel.

I have tried "barking" a few times, only to have the squirrel run higher into the tree. :haha: :surrender:

Outdoorman

A few years back I barked a squirrel which was sitting on a limb. The squirrel looked like a wooden hand grenade went off underneath him. This was not exactly the way it was supposed to be done but how it worked out. It was easier to gut the squirrel................watch yer top knot.......

I understand how people like brains, but on a squirrel, they amount to less than 1/2 a teaspoon, and that is not worth the bother, IMHO. Brains are Sweet tasting, for those who have never eaten them. In poor areas without ready sources of sugar, or sorghum, brains were about the only part of a diet that were sweet. :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
In poor areas without ready sources of sugar, or sorghum, brains were about the only part of a diet that were sweet.
Not trying to stray off topic here, but I'm pretty sure there were fruits and berries in most locations, as well as honey. I've read a number of accounts of searches for "bee trees" and such.

Okay, back to barking squirrels - over the years I've read several descriptions of how it was done, but I always had my doubts that it was done routinely.

I do remember hearing older relatives talking about how they would fight over squirrel brains. Apparently my grandparents had to keep track of whose turn it was to get it... :barf:

A few years ago i barked a squirrel with my Encore. shot the tree right next to his chest. I just wanted to see if it would work. It did, perfectly. He hit the ground dead with very minimal damage. From what i could tell none of the 250 gr. sabot hit him.

but I always had my doubts that it was done routinely.

That's my thoughts on it too. Davy Crocket seems to have told some squirrel barking stories. He was known for his stories. :) He also claims to have grinned squirrels to death. Said he went up against one squirrel that was so tough he had to put a limb under his chin and "take a rest".

I think those stories got started when hunters made a bad shot and accidently "barked" one.

"I think those stories got started when hunters made a bad shot and accidentally "barked" one."

I've always thought that, too. :thumbsup:

Of the many 100s of squirrels that I've shot, barked 3 intentionally.These were done as a last resort when no matter how I positioned myself, only the ears were visible. Held a little into the limb, squeezed off and the squirrels hit the ground stone dead w/ no visible damage. The flint LR was a .45 cal., used a .445 RB w/ 40 grs 3F. Oddly enough, all these were fox squirrels and were near the top of big oak trees... evidently they felt secure and just shifted their position slightly as I walked around the tree, showing only the ears. Throwing branches and rocks to the opposite side of the tree did'nt shift them enough for a decent shot...Fred

I just have not had the opportunity to hunt squirrels enough to have the experience of barking them. I have throw 48 oz juice cans into the air, by shooting into the dirt under them. That is the same principle as " barking". :surrender:

Barking is for dogs. If your gonna hunt squirrels, daggonnit, shoot to kill, not maim. We're supposed to be a nation of rifleman.

A Fox squirrels brain is bigger then a groundhogs. Brains are made of Cholesterol. My mother-in-law made then with eggs, real good. Dilly

Back