• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far do you carry a traditional hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just how far do you carry a traditional hunt? Do you use a flintlock and hunt out of a modern climbing stand? Do you hunt using commercial scents? Do you wear traditional garments while hunting? (Hunters safety orange is understood that you must wear it according to local hunting laws). Do you use commercial calls, grunts, bleats, etc? Use commercial seed to plant a food plot? Do you hunt completely traditional with the exception of the Hunters orange as required by law?

Personally I have tried it from one extreme to the other. When I was younger I was all about numbers, how much game I can put in the freezer. As I have gotten older I have gradually started using more and more traditional methods, thus pitting my stalking and hunting skills against the game rather then modern technologies.

Juggernaut

This is as primitive as i could get this year, we have to wear the orange. Hunted out of a stand though. :shocked2: :haha:

matchlockdoe1.jpg

I usually try to dress the part with mocs . leggins and the works, sometimes on short hunts I just wear my wrap shirt over regular clothes and wear a period hat, I do carry a radio when I hunt with my dad as his safety at 77 is more important than PC, I only still hunt or make small drives with another person or two covering exits, I never have used bait, scent or anything like that other than watching the occasional isolated apple tree left in the high country on an old abandoned home stead, I find the experience more interesting and rewarding by trying to get the feel of what it was like in the 18th century, i don't always get a deer as my choice of smoothbore the last few years has limited my range a bit, and the deer herds have been in trouble in this area for a few years as there are less tags available and shorter seasons in some areas.

My main interest is hunting with the firearms technology part of it...each year I've been expanding Flintlocks from deer hunting into other types like turkey, squirrel, crows, etc...but through it all I use modern warm dry hunting cloths, boots, gortex raingear, etc.

Don't misunderstand...it's none of my business or concern what anyone else chooses to do or wear...just responding to your question that my degree of traditional interest is basically the firearms technolgy itself.
(Note: See PS below)

(This is the PS Below)
Disclaimer for the peanut gallery:
"...yes, I know the modern made mass produced TC Hawkens I use are not period specific representations of any actual traditional ML from back in the day;
"...yes, I know the the mainsprings in the locks are coil springs not v-springs;
"...yes, I know the rear sight is adjustable and not fixed..."
:rotf:

But...when that was pointed out to me by somebody who tried to rain on my parade this spring when I killed a couple Turkeys with a TC Hawken .62cal smoothbore Flintlock...my reply was "how many Turkeys have YOU killed with ANY kind of a Flintlock? Never heard another word...
:thumbsup:

Just how far do you carry a traditional hunt?

Sometimes as far as five miles.

Do you use a flintlock and hunt out of a modern climbing stand?

One question at a time. Yes, and no. This year I used a fixed treestand for archery (sightless recurve) and with a cap sidelock a couple times in regular season but not during m/l season. A 59" rifle just ain't built for trees.

Do you hunt using commercial scents?

I have no scents at all (If Dad were alive he'd agree). I don't use cover or attractents. Clean has no smell. :wink:

Do you wear traditional garments while hunting? (Hunters safety orange is understood that you must wear it according to local hunting laws).

85%. I wear my Fruit-of-the-Loom jockies and usually my pants are machine sewn wool button flies. It gets cold in NY. :shocked2: And, if you look close, those are Irish Setter boots below the wool leggins. :redface: My tooties ain't got the best circulation (almost lost my right foot to gangrene in high-school and it has not liked cold since the month of "flensing" and saline irrigation - bad times).

HPIM0386a.jpg

HPIM0382a.jpg

CarpStumpy.jpg

Safety orange is not required in NY but I usually wear it. I ALWAYS wear in off my own property in hunting season. As a favor to someone who might have to live with a terrible thing if he accidently killed me (at which point I no longer would care). :wink:

Do you use commercial calls, grunts, bleats, etc? Use commercial seed to plant a food plot? Do you hunt completely traditional with the exception of the Hunters orange as required by law?

No calls or grunts that don't come from my throat. (Slate call for turkey w/wood "striker"). Commercial seed? I thought plants still grew their own. :hmm: Some rape and buckwheat may have strayed along the back trails on my property, but they never really took. :haha: And there are a few volunteer apple trees on my land that I haven't felled. Thay are worth checking out in the fall. :wink: Who ever said the hunters in 1770 weren't opportunists? :rotf:

PS - I also wear polycarbonate lens glasses. Whatchagonnado?

Just how far do you carry a traditional hunt? Do you use a flintlock and hunt out of a modern climbing stand? Do you hunt using commercial scents? Do you wear traditional garments while hunting? (Hunters safety orange is understood that you must wear it according to local hunting laws). Do you use commercial calls, grunts, bleats, etc? Use commercial seed to plant a food plot? Do you hunt completely traditional with the exception of the Hunters orange as required by law?

I use Flintlocks since 2004. Don't use a modern climbing stand...haven't figured out how to use one yet. :hmm: I do use a modern mobile ground blind though. Nope don't need no stinkin scents. Don't wear traditional garments as of yet anyway. I have a grunt tube somewhere around here...damn if I can ever find the dang thing. I did try planting Biologic two years ago but never did get anything done this year. It's pretty much about the gun for me, I don't need to dress the part. :v

I use what ever the F&G say I need to to be able to hunt the traditional season. Do I push the envelope? My friends think I do but our laws are about looks only. Ron

Juggernaut said:
Just how far do you carry a traditional hunt? Do you use a flintlock and hunt out of a modern climbing stand?
Any more, I hunt from the ground when carrying my flintlocks. I may use brush or other natural ground cover as a blind, but no commercially made blinds. When I used a flintlock to take a black bear I did hunt from a ladder stand though.

Juggernaut said:
Do you hunt using commercial scents?
Never, I wash my hunting clothes with baking soda & keep them outside starting a couple weeks before season opens & I shower with baking soda to eliminate scent as much as possible.

Juggernaut said:
Do you wear traditional garments while hunting? (Hunters safety orange is understood that you must wear it according to local hunting laws).
Sometimes I wear traditional(as traditional as I've got, so far) clothes, but not always. Well....I do still wear modern thermals under the trad outer garments. :redface:
I never wear orange, unless it's required by law!
Copyof1stPCNYBuck.jpg

Juggernaut said:
Do you use commercial calls, grunts, bleats, etc?
Not when I'm hunting traditional.

Juggernaut said:
Use commercial seed to plant a food plot?
Haven't yet, but have thought about it.

Our cabin has a tarped in area the size of a generous two car carport. It has a wood stove.
There is a bunk room inside for those that want that or for day trips. There is the ground out on the public area where the wood stove is. There are two tent sites for modern tents and a fire ring if you want to sleep using a tarp outside by the fire.
I go as primative as I have time for on most hunts. I do tend to wear regular pants with leggins and more traditional upper gear most of the time.
I put on a long sleeve t-shirt with a sweater over that. I put my pants on using suspenders over the sweater. I use a drop sleeve shirt over the sweater. A wool tunic drops over that and my canvas hunting shirt over that. I am good to about zero if I don't have to sit still all day. The match coat blanket outer layer adds a layer to your bed at night if the weather is really bad. When I am dressed in orange, I use a tunic made out of an old orange blanket belted over the rest.
Deer season is a lousy time for period type hunts around here. You want to go before or after. Dad went into the hospital on Thanksgiving. They did a second bypass operation and fixed a leaky valve in his heart. He woke up on the 13th and finally got out of ICU two days ago. I am going to take some traps and go spend a week or so trapping and hunting my dinner after Christmas if I can this year. Every time we went hunting this year, someone had a heart attack or some such emergency and we finally just gave up for the year. I just need the stars and the woods time it takes to get me to slow down to real time again. Hoping to bar-b-que a coon and maybe a beaver while I am out there!

Main thing is just enjoy yourself. Thanks for your replies I was just curious and thought it would make a good post for conversation. .

Juggernaut

Last night I went out wearing a set of merino wool long underwear, Fox river socks, Schnee's pac boots, Polar fleece green pants, Polar Tec Windstopper zip up sweat shirt, Polar fleece vest, treestand safety vest and then a flourescent orange polar tec vest. Hat is flourescent orange thinsulate and gore tex. Polar fleece gloves and I was good to go in the stand for a couple of hours. I was toasty warm and didn't sweat up a storm when I snowshoed into my stand.

I think I have the traditional part of huntin down pretty good this year.... :thumbsup: ..if ya don't shoot somethin you go hungry! :( (okay, a ps..it don't bother me i didn't kill one.. bothers me that me an many others didn't see many,,,,any! that scares me fer next year!! and i'm serious!!) wish i could et all dressed up an hunt...but bein in buckskins in n.y. in deer season... well "it sounded and looked like a deer!! :shocked2:

Swampy sayed """Don't use a modern climbing stand...haven't figured out how to use one yet. """ yer a ery sick boy! :shake: i'm pretty sure yer wheels are warped! or least loose... :rotf: :rotf: you sick puppy! :rotf:

I hunt mainley by myself, sometimes take a friend but go in opposite directions, once in a while we will plan to meet somewhere in the woods while still hunting. Don't hunt from a stand.Been using a flintlock for the past 6 years, the last 2 years been using a smoothbore .62 cal. The only traditional clothing I have is a capote. Carry a possibles bag and powder horn. flinch

I hunt from the ground on my own 2 feet with my Lyman Trade rifle in percussion. I have to wear a blaze orange hat and jacket, and have used some cammo netting, but the blinds I use are mostly natural. My wife and I are the only ones in the area that use a side hammer gun, the rest all have new inlines. My success is as good as the best and better than most around here. The most joy I get from my hunt is still hunting on a nice day.

Thanks for asking the question and the answers are interesting. Your question is something that I have been thinking about. I was going to ask some time back and then figured it would start a big argument, so why ask.

Back when I worked graveyards one of the guys was extolling the virtues of primitive bow hunting and was saying those who did not do as he did were lessor beings.

After listening I could not resist and asked him if he wore the green leotards, pointy shoes and dumb looking hat (Robin Hood) when he hunted. He promptly blew up.

Thanks

RDE

Richard Eames said:
"...one of the guys was extolling the virtues of primitive bow hunting and was saying those who did not do as he did were lessor beings..."
We humans are strange creatures for sure...we can go off on a tangent and achieve some accomplishment in a field out of the mainstream and if we're not careful we can come across as bragging when in a lot of cases it's just the excitement and enthusiasm of telling about such an accomplishement.

But when somebody actualy says words like people who didn't hunt like he does are lessor people or something...well, that's a whole 'nother matter :shake:

When I am hunting PC I use modern undies and hunt from the ground. The rest is as PC as I can make it. I will use my .62 Tullie ,my .62 Jaeger or if it is going to be real thick I built a little .62 canoe gun with sights that is devastating when the hunt is up close and personal.

I do have to admit that most of the places I hunt a modern climbing tree stand is almost mandatory.

If have to do that I go all hi-tec, camo, scents,rubber boots,miracle fibers, speed loaders, any thing to give myself an edge.

I even cheat with my rifle. My rifle of choice from the tree stand is my .54 flint GPR with a peep and fiber optic front sight. I also have my Nikon Laser range finder in my pocket.

Boy, am I going to hear some manure over this one.

LOL

For those who try to hunt as traditional as possible, one thing I have wondered about is, do you use binoculars, sliding telescope or anything to help see better?

Was wondering.

Thanks

RDE

Back