• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far does a punkin ball fly before it starts to descend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MUFAN said:
So should I sight my rifle in to be right on at 60 yards? Do you recommend sabots or round ball for the traditional 50 cal?

If it were mine, I would sight it in for around 100 yards. That gives you a "point blank range" (ball no more than 3" above or below your line of sight) from the muzzle all the way out to about 120 yards or so.

The easy way to do that is to sight it in for "right on" at about 12 or 13 yards. Depending on your muzzle velocity, that should put it right on at about 100 yards. You can use that ballistics calculator (see links above) to see how that works, and pick the close-in zero range that corresponds to the 100 yard zero. Note that changing your load (and changing your muzzle velocity) will change the specific ranges at which the close-in zero lines up with the 100 yard zero. While you can do most of your work at the 12 - 13 yard range, check it with a few shots at 100 yards to make sure it is working for you.

I prefer roundball. I don't have any experience with sabots so can't give you a recommendation there.

Back