• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast can BP revolvers be reloaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say, I have an 1858 Remington.36, and a 1851 Colt Navy .36, both Uberti.
I gotta be the only person on the planet that can swap the cylinder on the Colt way faster then the Remington. Knock out wedge and easy peasy. That Remington, I can fight 10 minutes trying to get the cylinder back in. The hand and bolt have to be in perfect alignment to get it in.
Ya I’ve watched the utubes, I just can’t get it.
Roll from right, insert from left, tried it all many times.
Nope, take the Colt every time.
If it weren’t that the Rem is so dam pretty, I’d sell her, She a display queen while my Colts are twice a week range pistols.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I have an 1858 Remington.36, and a 1851 Colt Navy .36, both Uberti.
I gotta be the only person on the planet that can swap the cylinder on the Colt way faster then the Remington. Knock out wedge and easy peasy. That Remington, I can fight 10 minutes trying to get the cylinder back in. The hand and bolt have to be in perfect alignment to get it in.
Ya I’ve watched the utubes, I just can’t get it.
Roll from right, insert from left, tried it all many times.
Nope, take the Colt every time.
If it weren’t that the Rem is so dam pretty, I’d sell her, She a display queen while my Colts are twice a week range pistols.
I find that I have the problem with the Remington that you do, that is why I use it as a utility pistol around the property. My main handgun is my 3rd model Colt dragoon by Uberti.

if you have the touch and rotate the cylinder the same direction that it rotates when cocked as you slide it in its easy peasy.

Back in the day, on one of our annual pilgrimages to Dixie Gunworks, I bought two packages of pre-loaded paper cartridges for my revolvers. One was a .31, the other a .36 caliber. Now, that's been over 50 years ago, so memory's fallible, but as it serves me - the cartridges were less than stellar purchases. Never bought them again.

As a college student at that time, I remember they were priced out of my reach anyway. Supposedly authentic (?) They would've been fast to load, but at least a couple of mine were duds. Nitrated paper? Dunno. Long time ago.

I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:
The Commanxhe fighting Texas Rangers had it figured out six or more revolvers ,44 caliber .

Blitz

I gotta be the only person on the planet that can swap the cylinder on the Colt way faster then the Remington.

I know this has been addressed but will hit it again, if you are fighting the bolt, then there is a timing issue. A half cock the bolt should be down in the frame.

If its not, you should be able to pull back a bit more or not let it go back to half cock and it should be. As long as the bolt is in the frame you should be able to roll it in turning it clockwise (from the back) . Going clockwise keeps you from fighting the hand though you can push that in to help as well.

There are a number of possible aspects to the bolt working right or not, all have to do with the arms and the pin in the side of the hammer and I do not know what to address for what symptom.

One other issue can be too tight a cylinder but it does not sound like it.

if you can swap a colt cylinder faster than a Remington you are doing something wrong with the Remington. period.
Now I am not an "Expert" I play one on youtube and I never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. So quoting me is just silly, I know a lil something on that Remington, pending things like how many times fired, how dirty, fouled are the pins even if your just knocking off that crud One could possibly beat that Remington on a cylinder exchange there are a lot of variables that play into it, I also know that "Cylinder Swap" in Hollywood well is a bit over exaggerated, I would say that the exchange of a Colt Cylinder VS a Remington is a 50-50 split at best Shooter Knowledge, fouling build up, it all rolls into it. I Know I Know ya got your ears plugged with your fingers, and your shouting blah blah blah like a toddler when some one say something they do not want to hear

if you think its a 50/50 split you are obviously missing something. there simply is no comparison. one you have to take the gun apart and keep track of four different parts. the other the cylinder just pops out and slides back in. if you actually know how to do it its almost effortless. I just timed it. took my Remington cylinder out and put it back in and on safety notch in 7 seconds. No using a table to set the parts on. do it from the holster.

I no longer own a shot timer but the only real way to settle this debate is with a shot timer. Look at the split time between your last shot on target then the reload from a pouch on your belt to the next hit on target. Not working off a bench. Has to be a hit on both ends to count. BINTD on a 7yrd IPSC target with hits in the A zone I averaged about 1.5 seconds with my 1911.

Latest posts

Back