• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how flat does a 62 ca. RB shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You see it at the muzzle and sometime in the touchole, may be in other places but those are the only places you can see. I see it in all my guns but this is the 1st time anyone has put a name to it. Always wondered what it was.

You see it at the muzzle and sometime in the touchole, may be in other places but those are the only places you can see. I see it in all my guns but this is the 1st time anyone has put a name to it. Always wondered what it was.

I've heard the old saying that it was supposed to represent an optimal load, etc...but I don't believe it, think it's another old wive's tale...because I experience the red flecks with all sorts of charges of Goex from 50grns to 90grns with the same round balls in the same rifle...and it is most readily visible in direct proportion to the degree of humidity, regardless of the powder charge being used.

During the cool low humidity dry days of winter months I see it after every shot at the range...around the muzzle, vent, and pan...but as the humidity rises through the spring and summer months, the red flecks disappear, as the residue immediately begins to be affected by the damp humid air...it would be apparent on every shot if it weren't for humidity's affect on residue which turns dark and damp from the moisture.
:m2c:

I agree RB. When shooting in the desert, the morning air will have a little humidity. The red "flecks" do not appear as the heat goes up and the humidity drops the red flecks appear.
When Temps. run around 100*F and humidity drops below 20% every thing goes red. The flash pan looks like it has been spray painted. I have also noted that as fouling developes on the breech face it is worse. If a scrapper is used it seems to be less. Like you I don't belive it has anything to do with a perfect load.
We have so many sharp guys on this forum, lets hear from some of chemist out there. :hmm:
:redthumb:
Redwing

The question has been raised about why shoot 175 gr charges with a .62 roundball. The Zephyrs are modeled after the African big game rifles of the nineteenth century. Their slow-twist Forsyth rifling is meant to achieve maximum muzzle velocity from a PRB, resulting in a flatter trajectory and higher downrange energy. The muzzles are ported to reduce recoil. They recommend a maximum ethical kill range of 125 yards. This is significantly longer than can be achieved with lower charges, and faster-twist rifling. It would also be more effective on larger game. For deer hunting, they recommend a load of 100-125 grains.

Their Alaskan (12-bore) and African (8-bore) models have maximum recommended loads of 250 and 300 grains respectively. These are intended for use on large and/or dangerous game.

While these large loads are not for everybdy, they DO have a purpose in certain situations. I was not recommending this load but posted the ballistics chart in answer to the original question of this thread.

Jimbo

Besides, one of the things I like most about BP shooting is making lots of noise and smoke. These loads will certainly do that!

Latest posts

Back