• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How heavy is too heavy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailWalker

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just picked up this pretty little thing: a .50 cal custom halfstock that tips the scale at a whopping 16 pounds! It was actually labeled as a “bench” rifle by the dealer, but I intend to shoot it offhand and use it for general target shooting, as I tend to prefer a heavier rifle. I can’t help but wonder if 16 pounds is pushing the envelope though. The halfstock percussion rifle that I typically shoot is about ten pounds, and I’ve got an original William Beck rifle that comes in at about 14.

What say you, ladies and gents? Just how heavy is too heavy for the purpose of offhand shooting in your opinion? Am I absolutely nut-so for thinking I can effectively manhandle this thing?

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3579.jpeg
    IMG_3579.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3584.jpeg
    IMG_3584.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
Pretty gun, nice wood, but 16#!! Wow!! Full-length barrel rib; no wonder. How well does it balance? Maybe that's your main concern for off-hand. And just curious - what's the function of the back end of the trigger guard where it sticks out from the stock? Not familiar with that. Thanks.

Some interesting insights and opinions here.

I read somewhere that Harry Pope, (famed barrel maker and Scheutzen-competition shooter) once said that a man's offhand rifle ought to weigh 16 pounds and a woman’s 12 pounds, so there’s obviously differing schools of thought on the matter.

The rifle’s still in transit, so I can’t attest to its balance, but I’ll keep you all posted regarding my impressions when I have it in hand.

I just picked up this pretty little thing: a .50 cal custom halfstock that tips the scale at a whopping 16 pounds! It was actually labeled as a “bench” rifle by the dealer, but I intend to shoot it offhand and use it for general target shooting, as I tend to prefer a heavier rifle. I can’t help but wonder if 16 pounds is pushing the envelope though. The halfstock percussion rifle that I typically shoot is about ten pounds, and I’ve got an original William Beck rifle that comes in at about 14.

What say you, ladies and gents? Just how heavy is too heavy for the purpose of offhand shooting in your opinion? Am I absolutely nut-so for thinking I can effectively manhandle this thing?
Beautiful! If you're strong enough to handle, go for it! I have a beautiful de-farb Enfield from Blockade Runner (Todd Watts) from about 20 yrs. ago; never fired, has perfectly fitted bayonet, but it weighs just over Ten Pounds! I'm going to sell it but not interested in shipping anywhere, face to face rather. I don't re-enact ACW, simply not needed and I don't care for the weight, frankly. Your rifle is a real gem! We all have our physical limits, I'm not muscular or bulky and could only use a 16 pounder rested!

All men and women are not created equal when it comes to strength. I toted a 10 pound 44" barrel when I was young. No way today. Just do a little dry fire of about 10 to 20 shots. If your arms are not two foot longer, it will probable work for you.
Lots of luck
Larry

Most of my competition rifles are 16lb-22lb, and I agree with @Rancocas 100%. Yes, you can get a couple of shots off, but if sustained anyone will get tired, start shaking, and your accuracy will go to hell. That said, I do a ton of BP shooting off a bench, and for that it wouldn't matter. Just because it's not for offhand shooting doesn't mean it's not a hammer and fun to shoot.

I shot offhand target , and silhouettes for 10 yrs. when young. I was 5 " 7" tall and weighed 200 lb. , and was told I was built like an anvil , OK , a chubby anvil. My offhand rifle was a long rifle .50 cal. Getz brl. 44 " long , weighing about 10 lb.. Great rifle , but a little heavy to hunt deer with. Sold it to a friend. My point is , No rifle is too heavy , if you can handle it. Dick , and Donny Getz were lovers of the .62 cal. , and suggested I make a hunting rifle using a .62 cal barrel. With a 38" length barrel , that rifle was still a traditional longrifle at 38" , but weighed in at barely 8 Lb.. Loved that .62 for it's accuracy , and knockdown power at longer range. I killed a doe at just under 200 yds. , the longest shot I ever made w/ modern , or m/l rifle. Only reason I had to quit that rifle was the 90Gr.ffg recoil , on an old aching shoulder..........Again , if you can use a rifle for it's intended purpose , who am I to tell you why to do?

All men and women are not created equal when it comes to strength. I toted a 10 pound 44" barrel when I was young. No way today. Just do a little dry fire of about 10 to 20 shots. If your arms are not two foot longer, it will probable work for you.
Lots of luck
Larry
Could shave off couple ozs. by re-boring to .69 or even bigger!;)

Beautiful! If you're strong enough to handle, go for it! I have a beautiful de-farb Enfield from Blockade Runner (Todd Watts) from about 20 yrs. ago; never fired, has perfectly fitted bayonet, but it weighs just over Ten Pounds! I'm going to sell it but not interested in shipping anywhere, face to face rather. I don't re-enact ACW, simply not needed and I don't care for the weight, frankly. Your rifle is a real gem! We all have our physical limits, I'm not muscular or bulky and could only use a 16 pounder rested!

Thanks for your honesty and frankness. I realize that some of our members are in their sixties and seventies (or older) and have infirmities that might not allow them to shoot a 16 pound rifle. Still… I recognize that a 16 pound rifle is a beast no matter how you slice it, regardless of your age and perhaps even physical conditioning. I’m 37 years old and have a relatively athletic build (5’10” and 185 pounds) so I guess we’ll see how it goes. Guess I better start eating my Wheaties and pumping some iron, eh?

If it's heavier than what you expected to be heavy, then it's likely too heavy. But that's a weighty subject. ;)

Removing or hollowing out parts of the stock doesn't have much effect on a rifles weight. That barrel you have seems mighty "thick". What's the flat to flat measurement of it?

And yes, I know my post isn't really helping anything.

Latest posts

Back