• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long does 1’000 caps last for an average shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snapping caps is a pretty reliable way to clear the fire channel. This is the way N-SSA competition shooters have been doing it for years. I recommend a minimum of 2, 3 is better, to make sure the fire channel is clear. You will know you have a clear channel when you snap a cap at some grass or a bit of leaf on the ground and see it move.
I'm not trying to talk anybody into or out of anything. If the NSSA does it they surely have their reasons. You probably have enough experience cleaning your guns that you don't leave excess oil in the flash channel. Probably go off perfectly without any snapped caps.

IMO, caps do not leave enough residue in the flash channel to hurt a thing.
I agree. It's, IMO, only a problem if enough oil residue is left in the breech to combine with cap residue to even partially obstruct the ignition channel. Iike I said, I think the cleaning procedure you use pretty much assures that you won't have problems whether you snap a cap or not.

Back