• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many carry non PC or HC knives......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestick

40 Cal
Reaction score
.... when out hunting with their ML'drs? I have my big knife but almost always carry a fixed blade from a modern manufacturer or a custom one. Usually have a medium to large folder as well. Now I am talking about hunting with traditional front stuffers and not the inline jobs that seem so popular these days. I just wish there were as many varieties of styles in 1095 as there is in SS like 440 or 420.

I do. I did make myself a carbon steel blade small knife with an antler handle and a poured bolster. It's definitely 'in the spirit' of the 18/19th century but the blade shape is more early 20th century. As for the rest of my 'kit', it's most certainly all 20th century. The modern stuff is all very traditional looking compared to 98% of todays knives but alas they are in fact modern.

I tend to put more stock into function than form.

My hawk/camp axe is a Roselli Allround short axe.

My two 'expensive' hunting knives are older Case leather hunter series knives. One is a mini Finn and the other is a #518 drop point hunter. The #518 is a blade style that comes from the very late 19th century and very early 20th century. It's no longer produced. Case quit making them a few years ago.

My favorite hunting/camp/fishing knives are all Martinni made, Rapala branded classic birch handle knives. I have the 4", 6", 7.5", and 9" fillet knives that I also use as boning knives. I have the bird/trout knife, clip point, caping, drop point, the traditional Finnish skinner, and lastly as I hate gut hooks but I bought it mostly for the skinning aspect of the blade, the gut hook skinner. These inexpensive Finnish knives are the workhorses for my outdoor knife needs.

My camp/game quartering saw is a Wyoming saw #1.

My edc is a SAK Sentinel Clip.

My 'carry' knife for hunting is a SAK Hunter.

My tackle box knife is a SAK Tinker Deluxe.

My wifes edc is a SAK Executive.

My wifes edc for her car is a Morakniv Companion.

The Martinni/Rapala knives, the Wyoming saw, and the SAK Hunter all sit behind the rear seat of my truck in an old canvas satchel ready for use. The Roselli axe sits next to the satchel. So no matter what I'm doing in the outdoors, I have a tool for the task at hand ready to use and easy to get to.

I do have a few small Case and one older LL Bean folder pocket knives that I carry from time to time as well.

I thik I'll shut up now as I've probably given Zonie a stroke with all the post 19th century knife talk!

Last edited:
Kinda depends on what you mean when you write "How Many Carry non PC or HC Knives..." , eh?

Because none of my hunting knives are hand forged, so they are all "wrong", depending on one's standards for PC/HC

I carry a reworked, Swedish Mora brand knife, from what is called a "classic Mora", that is carbon steel, as my patch knife, and it works great for field dressing deer,

and I have a slightly smaller hand made neck knife that really isn't of a proper pattern (which being worn by me as such isn't HC from the docs that I've read), but it's a handy little knife, also good for field dressing deer OR more importantly dressing and skinning a squirrel. It was made from 1095 carbon steel stock....

I also carry a 1095 carbon steel modern knife remade into a trade knife, but when I redid it I put the pins in the wrong spot, and the next ones that I make will have proper looking handles. ;)

ALL get a very sharp edge and can easily shave off the hair on my arm...,🙂

I get my factory knives from here : Classic Mora Knives for Sale but with COVID I don't know how available they are. I changed the handle and ditched the plastic sheath. Not all Mora knives are carbon steel so you have to read descriptions, and some have plastic handles.

LD

Depends on the mode of dress if in period attire yes, I have a few that are made bye very good artisans and a few that I repurposed in the early years of my journey. I am a person who likes hand made things and knives are no exception. If I do not dress in period attire I will carry my Shawn Webster or Ken Labrie knife or a more modern design that I made. But also I carry a small tomahawk very helpful when it comes time to split a deers itch bone and open the chest cavity. Always carry 2 pocket knives a Buck 3 blade and a Kershaw pocket clip, but again if in attire I have a period correct folder in my haver, Sorta moved away from neck knives if hunting, constantly on the look for old carbon steel butchers for in the shop.

I have no PC/HC knives. Mine are a mix of modern commercial and Two Feathers hand made knives. I require far more practical, tough and useful knives than just to worry about PC/HC.
Here is what I carry;
Schrade Old Timer 3-blade pocket knife (every day carry last 34 yrs)
Leatherman multi-tool on my belt
Two Feathers WE-1 in my pack
Two Feathers patch knife around my neck
Walk

Since I make my own knives, I have choices. I usually carried a skinner that is similar to the green river model. I no longer hunt but I still have and use both modern and PC knives. I also own a couple of fixed blade knives and one folder made in the mid 1800s. I just like knives. Here is one I made. Polecat

Attachments

• PICT0504.JPG
    PICT0504.JPG
    153.8 KB
I hunt with an old original Schrade Sharpfinger from the 70's that my Dad gave me as my first hunting knife. Its been in the woods on every hunt since I was a teen and those memories make it the perfect knife. Not to mention that its a great knife in its own right for deer.

@Marinekayak

I forgot in my post above about a knife that's similar to yours. It's a Bear MGC #753 sharpfinger clone. Made in the USA with a black leather sheath. I have not used it in years. Awesome little knife for general game cleaning work!

I don't know what would be considered HC/PC for a knife. In general, I carry the firearms and equipment that I enjoy. Typically it is rather PC for my flintlock rifle (typically a late 18th or early 19th century Lancaster or southern gun), but if there's a tool that makes things easier and it's not HC, then so be it. My knife probably is HC though. I was given a lovely retirement gift a few years before I actually retired by a mentor and friend. When I told him that I wasn't retiring yet, his response was, "well, I may not be here when you retire (he still is) and I want you to have it now". It was a lovely damascus bladed, antler handled knife that was made by the gentleman who used to make the WV Mountaineers rifle for football games and events. I can't remember the man's name, but someone here will know who I'm talking about and may post his name. I've used that knife to gut every deer that I've killed since the gift was given some years ago, so probably at least 5 or 6 deer since then, maybe as many as 10. I finally sharpened it for the first time this year because it had held its original edge so well. If you look closely at my avatar, I think I have the knife in my left hand.

" I thik I'll shut up now as I've probably given Zonie a stroke with all the post 19th century knife talk! "- This thread may make Zonie have a stroke. LOL (Juz funnin yah Zonie)

I carry a custom knife by Brend, and a good old Schrade Sharpfinger.
I had 2 sharpfingers years ago but could never get a good edge on them. Most EVERYONE loves their Schrade Old Timer Sharp Fingers but just didn't have good luck with them. I guess that is why there are 400 million different knives t choose from.

Not to get off topic I once gutted a deer with a broken beer bottle, after shooting him discovered I left my knife at home got a late start and was in a hurry, well after getting him to where I parked found a old beer bottle along the parking area broke the neck out of the bottle and went to work. Not the best job but got it done. So now I always carry 2 pocket knives along with my belt knife lessons learnt.

My father demanded I carry two items at all times: a pocket knife and a handkerchief. Both have saved my bacon more than once.

Daily, at the moment, I am carrying a locking folder, 3 inch blade, nothing fancy. I view knives as utility tools and not weapons and my defensive doctrine does not include a knife.

For hunting I have an Old Timer (traditional sort) of lock back folder that has its own leather case. Not serrated but it has cut through the breastbone of a whitetail deer during gutting. I also carry a sharpening tool when hunting.

I do have a "Short Kabar" that fits in an Andrews Leather "Monarch" shoulder holster rig that I had custom made a few years ago. It's very impressive but I don't carry in that rig very much.

Modern made, some factory built and, at least one, custom made. I have about 200 knives, hard to keep track.

A person cannot have tooo many knives.

Russel's in Arkansas is my weakness.

I only use fixed bladed knives for hunting, it's a safety thing.

Back