• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many shots until you clean the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TwoWithOne said:
That is what I use TC. Bore butter.Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :bow:

Are you doing this?
.490 Hornady round ball.
.018 Pillow patch with Bore Butter (wetter more than dryer).
3f GOEX black powder main charge 70 grs.
4f GOEX black powder prime 2-3 grs.

Starting with a very clean gun. No gun oil (petroleum base).
Use a denatured alcohol patch to swab the bore and wipe the pan before shooting.
Then just load, prime and shoot. Repeat.
Don't swab between shots, for now.

Start with just basic stuff until you learn before you try all the “mixtures” that are available. Afterwards you can try other things you 'may' think helps accuracy or reliability.

When I was concerned about patch thickness, I measured mine and only used .015" cotton or linen.
Now I don't measure thickness anymore, I just shoot and find a shot patch and see if there are ok to use again. Some of my denim patches I have shot 3 times without adding grease to it with no loss in accuracy. It seems once my gun settles in, it ain't too fussy.

TwoWithOne said:
Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube

Are these 2 different ingrieents or 1. :wink:

You know, you have to read the labels pretty carefully. I've started to pick up a bottle of Hoppes #9 only to suddenly realize it's not the BP solvent. And it does make you wonder :grin: Hoppes Plus WHAT? :idunno:

Please send me the procedure; on a caplock .45 CVA Kentucky shooting 70 grains of 3-F I need to start cleaning after shot #3. Shots 4 and 5 are progressively stiffer and after shot 5 of course the relay is over but the barrel MUST be cleaned. I also clean out the drum at the same time and I haven't taken too long I run the scraper in and clean the plug out too.

If you have a magical patch lube I sure would like to know what it is ... (???) :confused:

THANKS !!! :thumbsup:

I swab between every shot with denatured alcohol.
Can't see a reason not to; it just isn't that hard to do under most circumstances.
Pete

flaming canvas said:
Old Ford said:
If you want to hit something consistantly, swab/clean between shots.
If you want to go "Bang" just throw some powder down the barrel and shoot, you don't really need a ball, cause you won't hit what you are aiming at anyway.
Just watch the target shooters, that score 5 shots in the ten ring, and then you will understand.

I guess no one ever told my Santa Fe Hawken about that. The most I ever shot it was 82 times over two days at a rendezvous. Would have gone more but we ran out of events. I almost got run out of camp for winning all but one of them. I shoot a very tight combination that takes a rap or two on the short starter with a knife or mallet. Spit patched and plenty wet.

My Santa Fe works the same way. I use a .520 ball with a .028 canvas spit patch. I generally don't have to use a mallet to start the ball unless there is a little alloy in the ball. Usually a slap on the short starter will do it.

It will shoot all day without cleaning and let me walk home with plenty of plunder.

Just make sure you get the moose milk from a cow moose and not a BULL like I did. Just never saw a moose before. :rotf:

Back