• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how much 2F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ill Mendham

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How much 2F should I start with in my .50 with a 42 inch barrel using .49 ball and .15 patches. I know that rifles have a "sweet spot" (or load as the case may be) that I am just going to have to find it, looking for a suggestion on where to start.
green guy

thanks in advance.

Start with 50 grains and work your way up in 5 grain increments. Have fun! :grin:

If you are shooting a 25yds, you can get away with as little as 25-30 grains of powder. All the ball has to do is get through the paper! I use 65 grains in my 39 inch barrel on my flintlock for target work. Same bore, same patch and ball combination.

50 is a good place to start. Go up from there to find a load the gun likes.
You might also try differt size balls, patchs and lube. All just to find what the gun likes best.
Have fun :thumbsup:
Lehigh...

I've had 5 50 cal rifles over the years and they all liked 50-60 gr of FFG at 25 and 50 yds and 80-90 grs of ffg at 100 yards. Yours could be different, but these are good starting points.

Othern

I'd go with 3fg and start at 60grs but that's just me. If you want to use 2f then 60grs would also be a good place to start and work your way up to 80 or so grains. :hmm:

Ill,
Don't start with 2fg. Start with 3fg. The fifty is too small to use 2fg with roundball. You get long streamers of burning powder out the bore and a very dirty gonne. Use 2fg in the .58 or bigger with roundball.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Fer .50 2F aint bad IFIN ya use SWISS. goex isnt that hot and i'd use 3F in that powder.

Agreed - 50 grains of 2f Goex is a good starting load. Check you patches for blow-by/burn through.
My buddy has a 50 cal. and has found that 45 grains is what it likes. My 50 likes 55 grains ... guns are like a lady, you just got to find what works best.

Thanks for the tips. Shot a few rounds through her using 50 grains and she was hittin low at 35 yards. Lots of fun though and impressivly acurate!

volatpluvia said:
Ill,
Don't start with 2fg. Start with 3fg. The fifty is too small to use 2fg with roundball. You get long streamers of burning powder out the bore and a very dirty gonne. Use 2fg in the .58 or bigger with roundball.
God bless.
volatpluvia

I'm with volatpluvia on this...

FFFg is the ticket for those small bore like the 50...heheheheh

I've been shooting 58, 62, 65 and their ilk for far to many years to think a 50's big... :grin:

Cheers,

DT

Latest posts

Back