• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much ammo do you carry hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrel hunting with my .40 I carry 2 loading blocks that hold 12 rounds each. I've never shot all of them at squirrels in a single trip, but I usually do a little "plinking" after I'm finished hunting. I also carry about 20 balls and a lubed strip of ticking in my pouch.
Deer hunting with my .50 this Fall I'll have a block of 6 shots, and ticking and 10-15 balls in the pouch.

Strykerdlh said:
I usually have a load in the pipe and two speedloaders on me. Keep the rest in the truck just in case I have a good day.

:thumbsup: For deer.

For squirrels I might have up to 100 .32 RB, depends how many are still in the bag. I feel it and if it feels like there's 10 or more in there I'm good to go. If it feels light I dump in another box.
There's a small flask of powder, a couple strips of ticking, a small tin of moose snot, and a capper and tin of caps in the pouch.

One in the gun, three in speedloaders, more back in the house/truck/boat in the gear box (for deer).

For Squirrels, Our limit is 6 Squirrels Daily. I usually carry 7 balls and patch. Just in case I drop a ball in the leaves and and can't find it.

You got to head shoot em in Missouri too or you will be fined.

Headhunter

You mean that you HAVE to shoot squirrels in the head?? That seems to be a very odd requirement. :hmm:

As far as being fined goes, I've hunted for about 35 years, in 5 states, and I have never ONCE seen a game officer while hunting. I'm not saying I break the rules, because I don't, but I have to say the the threat of being fined is not something that I would worry about even if I did break the rules.

Squirrel Tail said:
You mean that you HAVE to shoot squirrels in the head?? That seems to be a very odd requirement.
Squirrel Tail,
I don't believe that would be a requirement
anywhere,it is just a way to improve
marksmanship and save some meat.
As to ammo carried while hunting: I carry 20
.32 RB when hunting squirrels.If I don't have
my limit of 6 by 15 I will throw the
last five :rotf: :rotf:.
I carry 6 rounds of .45,.50 or .54 cal. for deer. I have never used more than 2 rounds on any given day
hunting deer with any of these calibers.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Like mrfishnhunt, I take ten .32 PRBs in a bullet board for squirrel, and 3 .50 cal speedloaders plus a load in the pipe for whitetail. I'm never more than 30 minutes from my house or truck -- if I were going deep woods or for an overnight trip, I'd bring much more for just-in-case.

In my effort to minimize gear on squirrel hunts, I've narrowed it down to:

1. a teardrop capper

2. a cap tin full of cleaning patches

3. the small bullet board

4. 10 or so 3-inch segments of plastic drinking straw, masking taped at both ends and filled with 20 grains 3f

5. a homemade short starter/ramrod handle (one end of the starter has a hole to accept the thin .32 ramrod -- it gives a bit more grip and control when ramming down the ball).

These items fit nicely in the two pockets of my camo game vest. The reduced bulk is liberating, and my loading speed has significantly increased (only an issue after a shot on game, when I reload as quickly as possible in case a follow up shot is needed, which it has not been so far).

As a largely self-taught hunter, I had to learn a few things the hard way. I started squirreling about 10 years ago with a pump shotgun, but had no idea how many shots it took to fill a limit of 6 squirrel. As such, I returned from my first hunt with one squirrel and 26 #6 shells, 25 of which were in the absurd shotshell belt I wore that one time. Ha!

For deer hunting:

I will load one up from my bag.

I carry 3 speed loaders

I have 5 patched balls in the loading block.

I have never used the loading block - BUT it looks cool.

For small game:

.32 - .40

I carry 4 Prec cap cans with 6-8 balls and pre-lubed patches in each. (If it is real cold out use bigger cans, they are easier to handle)

For my smoothie:

Shot bag
Powder Horn
Wads in haversack (I have 3 small pouches sewn inside)
Extra wads in Altoid tin
some loose .610 balls in the Haversack (Don't need patch)

What I have found out is "Less is better" I usually have to force myself to leave stuff behind.

To be honest about it, 2-3 shots in a day is a successful hunt. (Squirrels and birds, maybe 6-8)

IMHO

I carry a full complement of RB (-25-30), 10 or so pre-made shot loads for my trade gun and a full horn of powder. I like to think like a person of the time in this respect, "I'm going out hunting, but I may run into trouble, and might not get back all that soon". That said, I don't leave the house without all my gear (including food and water), this includes a half-blanket in fall/winter or a full size blanket if winter hunting.....

Your eyes are better than mine--I have to "sex'm" on the ground! :wink: When I squirrel hunt I carry a small ball bag with a bone spout that holds a bunch of the little .310 balls...and a small day horn, but have two or three premeasured loads handy. When deer hunting I carry about 5 loads max. I am reminded of a favorite story about the maneating tiger hunter Corbett in India, who went after one notorious maneater with just 5 rounds for his little rifle [I think it was a 6mm--or the British equivalent]. After some bad luck--he was normally a great shot--he killed it with his last round as it came at him! Now in those circumstances, I might like more ammo!

Headhunter said:
I forgot to tell you all the requirement for this year when hunting squirrels in Missouri.

You can only shoot Males.

Headhunter

Air ye allowed to shoot the castrati? :shocked2:

Do you shake the tree and listen for something to rattle? Makes sense to me. :surrender: :bull:

Back