• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much powder for dove load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out as a kid birds fly different speeds in different situations and also can be high or low. For me the lead is determined by speed, how high or low and direction it is flying. "I'm" slower with a muzzleloader than modern gun. But I'm slower with my external hammer cartridge guns. Also being in my 70's I'm just slower in general. LOL. Probably not the person to explain lead to a young guy. Shooting skeet with a young friend a while back he ask" As slow as you are how are you breaking clays?" I told him with his hearing protection he couldn't hear me holler "Whoa bird" before I shot.

For a 12 ga load I like 7/8 to 1 1/8 ounces of shot the Skychief load over by volume using a adjustable measure 1/8 ounce measure less powder 3f or 2 f black than shot. Depending on how birds are flying and average distance. Low and slow less, high and fast more. Here if field has tall timber around it they are high. Field on hill no high timber around usually low.

Latest posts

Back