• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How often to disassemble lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

40 Cal
Reaction score
How often should a lock be disassembled and cleaned? Currently, I only have time to shoot mine maybe once a month. After each shooting session I remove my lock and scrub it woth soapy water, then moose milk, then I will lube it with ballistol before reinstalling it. Since I don't know when my next outing will be i want to make sure it's cleaned good enough to last a long time in storage just incase. I have only disassembled it once to do a little lock work but didn't know if I should take it appart more often than once a year or so. Also, is just using oil good for lock lubeing since I clean and lube after every shooting session or should I use a grease as well?

I do pull the lock and clean it every time I clean a rifle. I see no reason to disassemble the lock unless there is something that needs to be worked on.

I rarely disassemble the locks on my guns. For cleaning, I place the entire lock in my ultra sonic cleaner, then blow dry with compressed air, and lube as necessary. For my hunting rifles, I like to lube the lock with dry graphite for cold weather use, Oils and grease can sometimes slow down a lock when the temps get below freezing.

With a lock that is properly fitted up against the barrel there is no fouling or anything else getting down to the inside of the lock so really there is no reason to clean the inside of the lock.

I only pull the lock off because it makes the rest of the gun easier to clean using one of those magnet-hose thingies (whatever they are called) and then I am basically cleaning the outside of the lock before reinstalling.

This is assuming cleaning in the shop, field cleaning I would not even take the lock off.

Unless there is a problem why would you disassemble the lock?

Hi,
There is no reason to take a lock apart for cleaning. However, always remove the lock from the stock and clean it after shooting. I simply dunk mine in water and scrub with a tooth brush. Then dry with a paper towel and spray with WD40 to disperse any remaining water. WIPE off the WD40 and then grease the tumbler where the mainspring slides on it and put a little grease on the frizzen spring where the toe of the frizzen slides. Then a few drops of gun oil on the tumbler and sear and put it back on the gun. When removing a lock from the stock, it is best to loosen the lock bolt(s) and then tap them to push the lock out of its mortise rather than yanking the lock out by grabbing the flint cock and levering it out.

dave

For myself, it depends on the lock. If the pan is detachable, I often remove the pan, frizzen and leaf spring to clean out that area but generally nothing else.

For locks with integral pans i don’t take them apart, other than the top jaw and jaw screw.

The only time i take my locks apart is when there’s a problem, such as scratch marks on the inside of the lock plate from the tumbler is an indication that the parts are rubbing and may need to be deburred.

I do pull the lock and clean it every time I clean a rifle. I see no reason to disassemble the lock unless there is something that needs to be worked on.

Forgot to mention.

so if you’re using heavy gun grease on a lock, that may need to be cleaned out from the internals from time to time. I don’t use heavy grease, a lot of reinactors use TOO MUCH grease, I’ve seen as much as half a tube of Hopps gun grease on the inside of the lock. Too much grease can pick up dirt, metal shavings, wood, etc and it could potentially rot the lock mortise.

I only use a very small amount of grease, (graphite grease or copper colored grease) on lock internals but it’s usually the screws so they don’t seize up.

Back