• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How old is this powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The powder is still good. That's why Civil War artillery shells are still a danger when unearthed today. Shoot the powder and keep the can. I have several cans like the one on the right I bought in the 80's over my kitchen cabinets. If you have other old cans that can will make a great display.

I picked this estate sale stuff up for $100. From all of the other parts it appears to be from the 60s or 70s.

I wonder what the 30-06 cases with what appears to be cast lead tops were for, the tops don't come off.

score.JPG

The price tag says $4.98

black powder.JPG

I like the old Hodgdon can. I think they were getting their powder from a British company back then. As to your 30-06 cases, could the lead be a plug that has gotten stuck? I have known people to use a fired cartridge case to carry pre-measured powder charges.

Got 1,200 caps and a few cans of powder at a probate auction a while back, was wondering if anyone would know how old this can of Dupont FFFG is. Can was full and powder appears ok.
Wow! Goes back quite a ways. They say BP doesn't deteriorate if kept dry. Look at the Civil War shells that will still blow up! Can is worth good money as an antique. Nice find!

I was buying DuPont black powder in 1971 / 1972 at Jenson's Custom Ammunition, Tucson, Arizona for $1.95 per pound. I shot my old Trapdoor Springfield a lot back then, and it also had a .45 caliber muzzle loading barrel that would drop right into it. So I went thru a lot of powder. Seems cheap now, but my minimum wage job back then was $1.65 per hour working at Arby's

I have a couple of those blue plastic cap tins and they say navy arms on them. I see you have a T/C breechplug removing block and other nice BP accessories. The horns look nice. As long as that powder has been sealed, it will shoot. I'm sure that can has collectors value.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Anyone would know how old this can of Dupont FFFG is. Can was full and powder appears ok.

I love old powder cans, both blackpowder and smokeless. I've been after an older Dupont Black Powder can for quite sometime. They come up on auction from time to time. Sometimes they can be found at antique stores or fleamarkets. Anyway, congratulations on the find!

I have a few powder cans, some not all that rare Elephant, Hodgdon, Goex and a newer Dupont. Plus several smokeless cans. Below is the oldest black powder can I own.

20240730_182820.jpg

Not to burst bubbles, but the oblong DuPont cans were what we bought in at least the early part of the 1960's. The labels say "1924", but they all say that. One of several I have left has $1.60 price written on it. Hogden metal-cap cans I still shoot from were $3.00. Plastic-stoppered cans are not antique. Neither is anything with a "zip code". While, in my experience, old black powder still burns after many years, old caps I've had become more "disappointing than devastating".

Then again, to old guys, much of our stuff is ...just old stuff to us. Can't see the fun in coil spring locks, plastic anything, 209 primers, nor much else on store shelves. But, for every pot, there's a lid and money talks. Old stuff has one thing new stuff don't --memories. Priceless.

I have one of those too but have no remembrance of when or how I obtained it.

Back