• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How soon after a day of shooting to clean?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabberwacky

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new enough to the forum that I've probably missed some discussions along these lines, but my searches didn't bring up the answers to my questions, so here goes...

Assuming I use Pyrodex RS in my .50 or .54 ML rifle, how long can I safely wait before doing a thorough cleaning? Before you all gasp and I get 1,000 replies of "AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME!!!!!" let me say that I normally do a complete cleaning as soon as I get home. But, if I was planning shooting sessions on consecutive weekends, would that be pushing it. I'm not a chemist, and I don't claim to understand how fast the corrosion or rusting processes start/happen. Just looking for some experience from those in the know.

How about if I use Goex 2F?

jabberwacky said:
I'm new enough to the forum that I've probably missed some discussions along these lines, but my searches didn't bring up the answers to my questions, so here goes...

Pyrodex is Non Corrosive, Real Black powder like Goex, etc. is Corrosive. Meaning it will if left uncleaned will Corrode Metal. Clean when you are done shooting like when you get home from the range. Or if away from Home clean after the days shooting.

You want to clean a little before you go home, and definately clean when you get home. Trust me.....

Just shoot a few rounds and let it go for a weekend..... go ahead see what happens.... :grin: :haha:

Legion

akapennypincher said:
Pyrodex is Non Corrosive, Real Black powder like Goex, etc. is Corrosive. Meaning it will if left uncleaned will Corrode Metal. Clean when you are done shooting like when you get home from the range. Or if away from Home clean after the days shooting.

Pyrodex is made of the same basic components as black powder and is just as corrosive.

Clean your gun ASAP after shooting. I'd hate to see a barrel left over night without cleaning. I cringe at the thought of seeing one left for a week.

HD

Well, i have to disagree here. I use RS in my shotgun and have left it loaded for a week or more during duck and goose season with no signs of rust in the bores. I shoot and reload and if at the end of the day it is still loaded, i leave it till the next day and shoot some more. It is pretty humid and wet here in Oregon during duck season. I do run a patch with WD-40 on it down the barrels once every few days, and wipe the moisture off the outside, but that is it. And like i said, NO SIGNS of rust. And i do check it with a bore light. Did it that way for a couple of years when i was in eastern Oregon.

akapennypincher said:
Pyrodex is Non Corrosive, Real Black powder like Goex, etc. is Corrosive.
Are you suuure you wanna stick with that answer there cousin? I've seen a passel of rusted out rifles that were only shot with Pyrodex, and not cleaned.

I'm pretty patient, I can wait till the water heats up. Some folks here don't like hot water, but between the heat and the alcohol I rinse with, there ain't a whole lot of liquid left to interfer with the lube. :winking:

jabberwacky said:

Assuming I use Pyrodex RS in my .50 or .54 ML rifle, how long can I safely wait before doing a thorough cleaning? Before you all gasp and I get 1,000 replies of "AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME!!!!!" let me say that I normally do a complete cleaning as soon as I get home. But, if I was planning shooting sessions on consecutive weekends, would that be pushing it. I'm not a chemist, and I don't claim to understand how fast the corrosion or rusting processes start/happen. Just looking for some experience from those in the know.

Everyone's approach to their activities can be different...for me, I have never and will never go to sleep at night leaving a fired muzzleloader uncleaned, no matter what I've used in it...and I've used Pyrodex RS, Select, P, Elephant 3F, Goex 2F, 3F, and 4F.

FWIW, here's a direct quote from page 742, Pyrodex section, Hodgdon's reloading manual #26, the manufacturer of Pyrodex:

"...Of course, with either Pyrodex or Black Powder, do clean the rifle after the shooting session. Both of these fuels attract moisture...they are hydroscopic...and of course that can mean later rust problems and possible pitting of the metal..."

Other's mileage may vary...

Brokenlaig said:
akapennypincher said:
Are you suuure you wanna stick with that answer there cousin? I've seen a passel of rusted out rifles that were only shot with Pyrodex, and not cleaned.

Yep. It's a Corrosive after being shot, not in the unfired form. Just like black powder.

Hey Jabberwacky,

I dont use pyrodex and I dont know anyone who does. I've got some pretty fine shootin irons and I clean em when I use em. Just my prefference. It seems to me though that in muzzle blasts a couple years ago the bevel brothers did a piece about corrosive properties of black powder and various substitutes. If my memory serves me correctly they found that pyrodex was actually more corrosive than black in long term storage conditions.

Charcloth

If I know iam going to the range the next day or just need to put off cleaning untill the next day.
I oil the gun alot. I want the powder residue to soak up the oil not sit and draw moisture out of the air. Though I do agree that its best just to clean them right and ASAP. I acually forgot to clean my Thunderhawk once for a week. :redface:
And didnt see any bad results. But I had oiled it well.

Hey Jabberwalky,
I personally never let the Sun set on a dirty gun.I'm a bit of a fanatic though and I (GASP) Never have used Pyrodex(Just dosen't sound like something that belongs in a Muzzleloader)JMHO
I got a few friends ,3 to be exact that will shoot on Sunday and not bother to clean till later in the week.Of course they are easy to pick out on the line at our shoots....They are the ones with all the misfires and ignition problems.

I quit using Pyrodex 25 years ago because I found it to be more corrosive than black powder like Goex.

A few wet patches before you leave the range, and finish up when you get home is a good idea.

Civil War reenactors sometimes let their muskets go 3 or 4 years between cleaning. I've seen them that wouldn't accept a ramrod more than 1/2 way down the barrel. Probably not a good idea.

I use to charge $20.00 to remove a inline breech plug..then $40.00 now it is $80.00 and I'll include a new plug.
If your extra careful and tell me it is unloaded the charge is $100.00. The extra $20.00 is for me to unload the gun at my bench.

So, let the sun set on an uncleaned firearm and at dawn I'll be seein ya. :winking:

IMO. the longer it sets the worse it gets. the cleanin ain't hard worst part is gettin started.if you let them set it just takes longer..an there's a good feelin when those patches come out nice and clean...RC

If I can't get to the guns right away I will hose the bore and lock area with WD-40 and clean them the next day. I have never had any problems with rust doing this but I live in a dry climate.

If I lived in a more humid area I would clean at the range or as soon as I got home. It's amazing how fast the sulfur compounds will suck moisture out of the air and put it next to the metal.

Swampman said:
I quit using Pyrodex 25 years ago because I found it to be more corrosive than black powder like Goex.

A few wet patches before you leave the range, and finish up when you get home is a good idea.

Civil War reenactors sometimes let their muskets go 3 or 4 years between cleaning. I've seen them that wouldn't accept a ramrod more than 1/2 way down the barrel. Probably not a good idea.

Yep, CW reenactors and SOME 18th century reenactors/buckskinners will on purpose leave their guns uncleaned to promote corrosion to make their new guns LOOK OLD. I have seen several custom rifles RUINED that way. Like most others here, I clean ASAP after shooting. If there is going to be any delay before I can get to a thorough cleaning, I at least flush the barrrel and lock with water. It takes little time to plug the vent or nipple and fill up the barrel with water and let it stand a couple minutes (or cork it and shake the barrel), drain, dry. Wipe the lock and external fouling off with wet rag. Complete the task when earliest possible. Several of my CW reenactor friends (I am first sergeant of an artillery unit) have "new" rifles or pistols that look 200 yrs old from their treatment. In my Army days, such treatment of your weapon was NOT allowed!

David Teague said:
Brokenlaig said:
akapennypincher said:

Yep. It's a Corrosive after being shot, not in the unfired form. Just like black powder.

I will disagree, but it is FOOLISH to NOT CLEAN any Firearm after it is shot...

In actual tests, they burned the same amount of a selection of powders on clean steel plate to create fouling. Then those plates were set ack to observe. They all draw moisture out of the air to the fouling. Some worse than others. Pyrodex and 777 are the worst with real black coming in third. It doesn't matter if you have sulpher there to make an acid. The water will do the damage alone if left long enough. Patch them out before leaving the shooting area and protect then with some kind of product until you clean them. Clean them before going to bed. Check them the next day.

Back