• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to age steel parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question! It is to get the pits. I rust it long enough that the pitting goes below the surface of the barrel just enough that when I sand everything back I end up with some color left on the barrel, and some pits where I get all the way down to steel.

I sand off most of the rust first, then I put on the naval jelly and as you've probably seen, it turns the remaining rust black and the steel grey. So when I finish sanding the pits are black. Then I use the cold blue to try to get a color I like.

I have a .50 cal that I just finished up and I'll be posting some pics soon. I'll show some closeups of the barrel.

Capt. Fred said:
Good question! It is to get the pits. I rust it long enough that the pitting goes below the surface of the barrel just enough that when I sand everything back I end up with some color left on the barrel, and some pits where I get all the way down to steel.

Got it...thanks

What kind of wood is that?

And how did you get your gun stock to look so shiny? As in was that just good sanding with stain and oil?

Loks great, in jealous

It is curly maple or some call it tiger maple. I did sand it down to like 320 grit and whiskered it twice then stained it with an alcohol based stain and about 8 coats of a tung oil varnish. I built it with the intention of keeping it for myself but ended up selling it... wish I hadn't :doh: But I did buy parts to build another rifle with some of the money... and paid some bills too!

In the last issue of Muzzleloader magazine there is young man in Alaska who case hardens the lock for a nice antique look. My mag. is at work but it seems like you have to draw the temper back after hardening. If you get a chance check it out, I plan to try it on one of mine.

You should build some more.... You did a beautiful job on that rifle. :hatsoff:

Keith Lisle

Keith, I will definitely be building more guns! Actually since I built the steel Virginia rifle I've built 4 more rifles! I'm getting better with each one and would love to someday build full time if I could make enough money at it :grin: every single gun I've built (except for my first) I've sold and used the money to buy parts for my next build ( and pay some bills!) I haven't had as much time to spend on building guns lately though as my wife and I bought an unfinished log home and have been working on getting it finished and livable for the past 2 and a half years :youcrazy: we are getting very close to being done and movingin soon, so hopefully in a couple months I can focus some more time to build. Oh I forgot to mention we have two young kiddos and I run the family construction business too so needless to say we are very busy! Sorry for the long response just thought I'd tell what I've been up to lately and the reason I hadn't posted a pic of the steel Virginia rifle for so long. I did manage to finish a rifle that I am going to keep for myself and Iwill post some pics of it :grin:

Re enactors sometimes want a aged firearm but they don't seem to realize that the guns didn't look aged when they were made.

jerry huddleston said:
Re enactors sometimes want a aged firearm but they don't seem to realize that the guns didn't look aged when they were made.

No, but they did look "lightly aged" after a little use and exposure. No re enactor that I have ever seen wanted to emulate the greenhorn, even though they obviously were there in the old days. Might be an interesting persona for someone to try.

"Re enactors sometimes want a aged firearm but they don't seem to realize that the guns didn't look aged when they were made."

Yes! They did not carry 250 years old guns 250 years ago. They carried guns that were recently made. So, a rusty battered gun would not be correct for a re-enactor. The stitch counters confuse me. One I know is more interested in a lock plate with a a certain cast in logo than a rifle that actually works. I offered to make him a new lock plate and rebuild his lock to be functional. He did not want it because the logo would be missing. To each his own I guess.

I have to agree with Chuck. Artificial ageing is getting more popular by the day, and for most all period gear from clothing to guns and knives. It is rare that I get orders for bright finished knives and new looking sheaths. Probably less than 10 to 1.
You're right. Of course, back in the 1800's, people USED things and they acquired an honest used appearance naturally. We just seem to like guns that appear to be 100+ years old even though made last month.

Polished with 320 and 440 paper, LM brown times two coats twelve hours apart then naval jelly and worn denim as a buffer
F93637E2-A794-48F4-8A93-BA985A468950.jpeg
0611434E-6A48-4A10-B478-741F72E8DF24.jpeg

Latest posts

Back