• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to clean between rounds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Gang:
I KNOW this has been covered, but I can't find it, so if you will be patient with me..
Being still pretty new at this, I do not have a clearly defined procedure for between-round's cleaning.

Over the weekend, I had three different balls get stuck in the barrel as I pushed them down with the ramrod. (two on Sat, one on Sunday)

I run a couple of patches between rounds, and a third with a good smear of bore-butter.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why these balls got stuck.
(T/C .50 Hawken, .490 balls, .18 patches, and bore-butter)
I'm thinking that the between round's cleaning is not being performed properly.
Any hints or thoughts?
Thanks,
Rich
By the way, took two of us on opposite ends to pull out one in particular. Sort of took the fun out of the morning!

I don't clean after every shot. If shooting for accuracy I clean after every third shot if just shooting after six or so. If shooting out of the bag I just use a cleaning patch with spit followed by a dry patch, if at the range I use a patch soaked with some type of solution such as alcohol, widshield washing solution, whatever you prefer followed by a dry patch.

My standard technique is to keep one end of a strip of plain ol' pillow ticking in my mouth, chewed as if it were a plug of tobacco, and cut off a single cleaning patch between shots and make a few passes up and down the bore.

I use the other end to wipe the flint and frizzen, which is no end of fun when I get my ends confused mid-string. :haha:

The rifling in my .50 cal barrel is shallow and wide, much like modern rifling. I guess that would have some influence on how this particular barrel barrel responds to this particular cleaning technique. That seems to be what it likes, though.

Good stuff, Guys.
I also think I was doing a lot of "up and down" strokes, normally I just go "down and up" once, and I'm done (each patch) Now I'm being more enthusiastic, and I got into trouble.
Oh, I'm testing loads for accuracy and grouping, so I am cleaning between rounds.
I need a consistent procedure.

I use #13 Bore Cleaner about every 4 or 5 shots. All my shot patches are lubed in bore butter. No problemo!! :wink:

I find that plain old spit as a patch lubricant keeps me going for a whole match without any swabbing at all. YMMV

Leadpot, I wondered about #13, is it more "liquid" than bore-butter? if so, that might be my answer.

If you're getting a lot of crud buildup between shots, try swabbing with a wetter solution. Spit, water, windex, you name it. Lubes don't do such a good job at getting fouling out, only at keeping it soft.

You might experiment with wetter lubes too. I can generally shoot all day without cleaning using Hoppe's #9 patch lube. I can shoot a long string without swabbing using patches that have been lightly treated with Ballistol. I have never had any luck with any grease type lube that I've tried. Of course this is in dry west Texas, so that might be why wetter lubes work better for me.

When finding the right load and sighting in I use 3 damp patches of rubbing alcohol (both sides) then a dry patch followed by a lightly oiled patch and another dry patch...

Once I have her settled in...My .54 shoots acceptable hunting accuracy with a .018 patched ball followed by a .015 patched ball and no cleaning...

My .40 needs a damp spit patch between shots to consistantly hit squirrels in the head...

Plink said:
If you're getting a lot of crud buildup between shots,

If you encounter excessive crud buildup, you might consider trying a thicker patch. It's been my experience that the more pressure you put BP under, the cleaner it burns.

In the case of my .50 cal jaeger, I've been shooting it for about fifteen years and have its system of doing things mostly figured out.

what powder and granulation do you use and how many grains are you using? I use the 3f goex it burns good and cleaner than others.

Just like water. My buddy used it all the time. I use spit patch. He would wet a patch and wring it out then use it. When you clean don't shove it down in one stroke as you will shove all the fouling down in breach, you go down so far and then back up, repeat to you get down to bottom. You pick up the fouling this way. Dilly

Bore butter is a patch lube, NOT a solvent( no matter what the claims). Use water, or spit on cleaning patches - different from the patch you wrap around the ball--- to clean the barrel. ON humid days, I use a bit of spit- just wipe a CLEAN cleaning patch across my tongue, and run the damp side down the barrel.

I DO NOT run the patch all the way down to the breech however. I pull it out from about an inch above the breechplug, so I am not pushing crud into the flash channel. If the cleaning patch comes out semi-dry, I flip it over and run it down all the way on the SECOND stroke. On humid days, or when its raining, I use 2 or more patches to clean and dry the barrel between each shot.

I use a damp cleaning patch after each shot to put out any burning embers in the barrel.

Its a safety issue.

I can get away without cleaning the barrel for 3-4 shots, but then the balls start sticking in the barrel, and I have the same problem you were experiencing. The best way not to ruin your day is to simply clean the barrel adequately after every shot.

You have to pay attention to the condition of the crud on your cleaning patch, to do it right. If it looks slick, greasy, and wet, you need to use another patch and try to get more of it out, and leave the barrel dryer and with less residue in the corners.

How many patches I use to clean the barrel depends on the temperature and the humidity, and what they are doing to the patches that come back out of the barrel. It changes with the season. I also use alcohol for cleaning in the freezing temps. of winter. I have used Hoppes Bore Solvent, and I think its a great cleaner. I am not so in love with it as a patch lube.( I found its too wet for any use other than on a range where you will be firing a shot quickly. If you don't fire it quickly the water in the solvent fouls the powder charge.) Others use it for a patch lube, and like it.

I am using a predeceasor of the Bore Butter now sold. It was called Young Country 101 Lube, back when I bought this jar, that is almost done, now. I have a couple of jars of bore butter waiting for this one to be done! I like to lube the patches the night before, or put them in my microwave oven for a few seconds to melt the lube so it goes throughout the weave, before going to the range, or out to hunt.

You indicate you want to develop a " consistent " cleaning technique. Don't sacrifice observation and thought for " consistency" for consistency sake. Read those patches and make adjustments accordingly.

Your aim should be to put dry powder down a dry barrel, that is in as close to the condition that your new -unfired barrel was when you loaded it for that first shot. You need to keep that powder dry for it to ignite, and to burn completely and properly. Other wise you won't get similar velocities from shot to shot from the same measured powder load.

If you choose to use a " Wet" lube, ( that includes spit) then consider using an OP wad, or filler, between the powder and the PRB to keep the powder from being fouled by the wetness.

I Do not recommend the use of spit, or any other "wet" lube in the gun if you are going hunting for the day, and you may not fire the gun for hours. The wet patch will dry and leave a ring of rust in your barrel where it contacts the metal. This is a PITA to get rid of once it happens, and you will feel the pits there every time you load the barrel to that same spot, for as long as the gun is yours. Use a vegetable oil/wax lube instead, thinning it with alcohol in freezing conditions.

I almost never clean during a match. Maybe after 20 or 30 shots I might run a wet (spit) patch down on a tow worm to loosen things up.

I was shooting this last weekend and forgot to put a ball over the powder and then shot it. This was after about 12 shots. I had to drive the next two balls down with a steel rod so I could tell that the extra fowling had really messed me up. It also caused my gun to shoot about 8 inches high at 50 yards, so it was time to clean. I cut one large patch and chewed it up good, and then wound it up on my tow worm and used it to clean the worst of the crud out of the barrel. I did this twice and then ran a dry patch down.

I then kept on shooting and everything seemed to work fine.

I mostly shoot offhand so I couldn't tell you if cleaning after every shot would improve the accuracy. My personal opinion is that folks spend too much time cleaning and not enough time shooting.

Many Klatch

Boar-dilly said:
Just like water. My buddy used it all the time. I use spit patch. He would wet a patch and wring it out then use it. When you clean don't shove it down in one stroke as you will shove all the fouling down in breach, you go down so far and then back up, repeat to you get down to bottom. You pick up the fouling this way. Dilly
He's shooting a T/C Hawken...Patent Breech / no fouling to worry about down there.
Whenever I've wiped between shots for chronograph work or something, I've always just run a wet cleaning patch full down in one stroke until it stopped on top of the patent breech, then pulled it all the way back up out...reload and shoot again.

Your pressures were probably way up from driving/obturating that ball down-bore. I would bet the patch was toast by the time you got it down on the powder. I've done the same thing a couple of times. :wink:

Guys, this is exactly what I needed to hear, and it confirmed a lot of what I was expecting, thanks for your guidance,
Rich

I can barely get a .490 ball down the barrel of my T/C .50 with a .015 patch. I wish I had a .485 mold.

Back