• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to display pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been covered at length elsewhere...I couldn't find a link if there was one.

My question is, what is the collective wisdom on displaying black powder pistols on a stand, say on a cabinet or bookshelf? Not under glass.

Would this encourage rust/corrosion? What about dust sticking to the oiled surfaces?

Given the difficulty of loading these guns, I should think safety is pretty much a given. The question of light-fingered visitors, or numbskulls grabbing it and dry-firing it ("Hey does this thing really work?!") is a whole 'nuther matter.

Any old-hands have thoughts on this? Also, if anyone has links to photos of displays, homemade or otherwise, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

37231_130155500352988_2467923_n.jpg

37231_130155503686321_7570855_n.jpg

This is how I display some of mine. You can lock the box if you want to discourage nosey guests.

Mine are all locked up(where they should be). All except for one it's in a shadow box on the wall and it no longer fires or is usable as a weapon.

In a very large heavy fireproof safe where they cannot be seen unless folks are invited to see them.

Yes. I made everything except for the powder flask and the capper in the box on the right.

Rust won't be an issue unless someone with sweaty hands picks them up by the metal and gun is not wiped with a reel cloth or something like it. Dust can easily be wiped off. Security, mentioned earlier, is always a concern but you just have to evaluate that potential problem based on your circumstances. An antique of great value is not something I would leave sitting around though.

Thanks for the advice, MacRob2. My piettas aren't high-end or antiques. Friends and family are trustworthy (for the most part), although I can't vouch for my kids' friends (all in their 20s). Supplies are locked away in another part of the house, so it's not too likely a casual visitor will wander in with Goex, caps and balls. My main concern was corrosion.

Locked boxes like Wild Bill's might be the best answer("Neat box. What's in it?"). Although it seems a shame to lock these guns away out of sight, like I do with my modern ones. They are handsome items, and good conversation starters.

Mine are in zipper cases and stored under lock and key. I have become some what parinoid about cap and ball revolvers. It is amazeing to me how many people are onsaessed with dry fireing them. When I show them off I always start off with
"Please do not dry fire them". Geo. T.

All mine are under lock and key in a heavy insulated fire proof safe and are not displayed, period. House has an alarm system as a back up.

Maintenance workers (plumbers, electicians, air conditioner/heater repair men, etc. do not need to see what I own. They tell their buddies what they saw in my house and then they tell their friends what they saw and where does it end?

After losing 13 guns, nothing is on display any more. I do not let folks in the house who are not workers from bonded and insured companies.

r

I put 1/8 neoprene setting blocks for glass work cut to fit under my hammer shanks in the frame body on all my cap-n-ballers just so I can dry fire without nipple impact.The trick is to make them thick enough but not two thick so the action will cycle.
Just lift them out with tweezers before firing. They stay in with a friction fit by themselves. MD

I use this one to display and load my Pietta.

I modified the internet design with the addition of the second shelf. The wood box on the shelf and the magnets are Pat Catan's items. Brass closers and hinges on both boxes are Home Depot items. Brass Tacks hide the screw holes and add extra decoration.

With the screws through the main upright into the top shelf, you can pick it up by the shelf to carry it. The shelf is long enough that when I get a brass cap box, I'll counter sink it into the shelf. All main parts are glued with Titebond and screwed. Top box is glued to the shelf. Hinges and latch is glued to the box because of thin lid.

I used two countersunk steel washers and two magnets to hold the gun in place instead of the dowel pins used in the plans.

Top box is wads and caps, bottom box is lead balls. The wooden dowel rod is use to seat the caps, the brass rod is for clean out or pulling a ball if need be.

Plans as PDFLink

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Back