• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make perfectly round balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many balls have you cut and did the pocket always align as such with the pocket closer to the sprue? Seems to me this would bring the center of gravity away from the sprue (weight forward) which would mean that one would be better served to load sprue down so that the heavy end would not be trying to swap ends with the light end due to momentum but would be trying to pull the light end along, right?? The spure being in the wake instead of on the nose would also cut down on drag just a tiny bit I would think...

Wattsey,
I have found the same to be true with my LEE .690RM mold.

"I have two LEE Moulds...a .530 and a .535 Both of them cut the sprue FLUSH! You can see the itty bitty dido where it is/was but its smooth and not an issue "

.690RB

YOu are wrong. Drag is based on shape of the projectile, not weight, or weight distribution. Its far easier to put a sprue UP when loading than to try to load it down. When YOu have more experience with MLing, you will understand that. Most casting flaws, like cavities, are so small that they don't adversely affect accuracy much for close range plinking and target shooting. It makes a big difference when shooting out at 100 yds and further. That is why balls are weighed, measured and visually examined before being chosen for serious target shooting.

The only way I know to make perfectly round balls is to put the cast balls in a case vibrator, or tumbler, without the grit used with modern cartridge casings, and let the lead balls bang around into each other for an hour or so. You will still need to measure then, and then weigh them,but you should find a lot more balls that are closer to being perfectly round, than you can expect to get out of any mold.

Since soft lead balls are distorted and mis-shapened when fired( and loaded), there is no point to making them "perfectly round". Its far more important for accuracy that they all weight close to the same weight. That is what produces small groups at your Point of Aim. :surrender: :hmm:

Latest posts

Back