• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to remove traditions breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbach

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you remove the breech plug on a traditions muzzle loader?
Are the threads right hand?

I've had a misfire. If I can't shoot the load out by powdering the bolster drum I'm assuming I will need to open the breech to get the load out.

I have no idea what might be stuck in there.

Well manure. It looks like it's screwed in.

If it doesn't shoot out I guess I'll have to soak the powder and try to pull the ball out from the muzzle.

I'm starting to think Traditions is not what I expected.

People have different expectations but I can tell you there is nothing wrong with traditions.
I suggest you do some reading starting with the owner’s manual, then visit Traditions website.

Muzzleloaders are kind of like airplanes; just because you can start the engine doesn’t mean you can fly.
And stop making assumptions about things you don’t know about.

You can usually force it out with compressed air. Either through the nipple or through the clean out screw.
The drum is cross threaded through the breech plug. Removal normally destroys how the threads align and usually destroys the barrel. Do not remove it.

While the breech plug CAN be removed, It is only a last resort since removing it will void the warranty. Before removing the breech plug you MUST remove the drum since it is threaded through the breech plug. Both the drum and breech plug are a force fit and getting them realigned is a real bear. I strongly recommend you try all other options before attempting to remove the breech plug. :idunno: :hmm:

At this point, removing the breech plug would be the last resort.

I can't imagine what is in there. I took the rifle out a and shot it for the first time. I cleaned it as soon as I got home. All cleaning swabs were accounted for. Nothing was missing.

I took it back out to do a little more shooting. I loaded just as I did before. Pulled the trigger and only the cap fired. I tried two more times, no luck.

Is it possible the patch from the last shot was still in there?

I used warm soapy water. Ran several swabs through the barrel. Damp swabs. Not dripping wet. When they started to come back clean I ran several dry swabs. When they came back clean and dry. I ran a swab that had a light coat of oil. I followed this with the last swab which had a very light coat of bore butter (as suggested on the products label).

My cleaning rod had an eye type patch holder, so I know a cleaning swab didn't stay in the barrel.

Could also be your first dry ball. Getting some powder into the drum/breech should shoot it out.

Ok here’s where you went wrong
1. Use an actual patch jag and not one of those eye types
2. Bore butter or powder residue is probably blocking the flash channel
3. Stop using the bore butter post cleaning, use a good quality rust preventative
4. This is the most important: swab your barrel before loading to remove residual oil and then snap a couple of caps off to make sure the flash channel is clear.

There are also other tips that people have and you will learn them as you proceed.

Have you tried to remove the clean out screw?????

If there is any thing caked in there, use a paper clip and dig it out.

When you went to the range did you pop some caps to make sure the flash channel was open?

it could be any number of things, including a wasp nest down there. (seriously, a buddy had wasps build a nest in his barrel) Stored verticle, dust, dirt and other things can settle in there.

Make sure the clean out screw does not block the bottom of the nipple.

Very hard to diagnose without hands on.

Just running swabs, without flushing the barrel, more than likely pushed fouling into the patent breech blocking the flash channel. Like others have said, remove the nipple and clean out screw and get the fouling out. Then add some powder under the nipple, replace it and the screw and it should shoot it out. Make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

I think you guys have been a great deal of help. I'm better equipped to solve the problem now.

I did not clean the path from the cap to the breech. Honestly I never thought about it.

Live and learn.

I own several firearms. I reload for all of them both pistol and rifle. I built my own AR15 5.56/223 from scratch then I built a 300 blackout upper for it. I maintain my own firearms. I'm 62 years old and I've been around firearms a my life. I also have a FEL (Federal Explosives Permit) and have been around explosives several years. I am a licensed manufacturer of explosives.

Black powder muzzleloaders are completely new to me. At least I had enough sense to ask those in the know.

My cleaning rod had an eye type patch holder, so I know a cleaning swab didn't stay in the barrel.

Whether there is a lost patch or not, that type of cleaning jag is useless for your rifle. You need a cleaning jag appropriate to your rifle caliber. They look like this.

Jags

You also immediately need one of these in the appropriate caliber. It's called a ball puller.

ball pullers

And, to use the ball puller, you will need a stout ramrod of the type we typically refer to as a range rod like this.

33-pistol-rod.jpg

These range rods are easily made but seems like you have an immediate problem. Might be best to get spring for one.

Don't give up on that Traditions rifle. You will probably find it to be a good gun once you make friends with it. Had one at the range yesterday morning and it nicely shot a 2.5" group at 50 yards in a steady raing.

It's a good idea when you take your gun out to pop a few caps before you load it. Helps clear the channel and get rid of any oil residue. Remove the nipple and put a pinch of powder in it and fire it. Even a second time if needed. Always works for me.

Back