• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle plug removal, field removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some time now I've been considering doing some work on my Hawkin replica rifle, a 54 Cabela's, so that I can remove the plug from the end of the barrel,

I don't have a ball stuck in there and don't really need to remove it right now but I always had the perception that it , the threaded plug in the rear end of the tube, could be removed in the field with a couple of wrenches , one on the barrel and one on the plug you could thread it out,

I have heard of several cases over the last few years where the person had a ball stuck in the tube and was having a terrible time getting it out,

And I thought well why don't you just unthread the plug and then put in a fresh charge of powder, and solve the problem and have some fun at the same time.
But then I disassembled mine to have a look at it I realized that the plug has been threaded in , and such a manner that it's not designed or intended to be removed by hand, or in the field

It'll be quite a process to get it removed and then come up with some type of a plug that can be threaded in and taken out occasionally if ever needed to.

View attachment 321316View attachment 321317View attachment 321318
My old CVA instruction manual states DO NOT remove the breech plug, and it will VOID the warranty. For what ever that's worth. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back