• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How To Tiger Stripe Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like info on how to tiger stripe a stock.
I've seen somewhere that acid can be used.
Can, anyone help a newwby to all this?
Thanks.

You can do this, but I Have never SEEN a stock that has been artificially striped, that looks even close to the real deal. Mother Nature puts the "fiddleback"(Tigerstripe) into the wood.

I have seen it done with stains, paint(UGH!) and by heating the wood up with a torch and sanding off the char.

May I suggest you try several of these approaches with pieces of scrap wood, before you commit your gunstock to this. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a stock made of plain, straight grained wood, without fiddleback. The fancy stocks cost a lot of money back then, as they do now. The Straight grained wood was what made it onto guns that were USED, not looked at over the mantel. :hmm:

I'm with Paul. I've seen some HORRIBLE examples on the 'web that would have been better off left alone.
Rumor is, Henry Leman experimented with India ink on some of his trade rifles. Don't know if it's fact or not.
In any case, if you feel you have to try it, play with some scrap wood first, please?

India ink, and a fine pointed artist brush. Practice on scrap first. I have a tomahawk handle that I defy any but the experienced wood craft folks to swear it is faked, and this was the first and last I have ever done. You have to make each stripe a tad different than the previous, and copy a real piece of curled wood.

Thanks for the info.....what kind of finish did you put on top of the stripes?

At that time, probably Tru-oil. I would suggest Jim Chambers oil finish now though. It is very easy to work with.

Latest posts

Back