• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to use a double barrel shotgun afield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a little new to this.
A few questions:
Do you cock both barrels upon game, or one at a time?
Do you use one or two fingers on the triggers ?
Any other tips and advice greatly appreciated.

I think that you will get a lot of different answers.

I generally cock one barrel while bringing the gun during the flush (I can't cock both barrels quickly enough). If I had a pointing dog I would probably cock both. I only use my index finger on one trigger at a time. The tricky bit is when you flush a bird and shoot, without getting a second shot. If you choose to reload the first barrel, it is important to remove the priming cap from the second barrel, even when it doesn't want to come off.

When I shoot skeet, I cock one barrel for singles and both barrels for doubles.

I can only tell you how I hunted with my 12 bore percussion double. This shotgun had a half cock on each hammer and I carried it this way, loaded, and with the barrel up. I was hunting pheasants usually, grouse on occasion. My dog was a flushing dog so when a bird got up I cocked one barrel and got on the bird and shot. I seldom took a second shot as the bird was usually out of range if the first shot missed. If I used a pointing dog I would cock the barrel when the dog went on point.

I practiced this cocking and shooting on clay pigeons until I was comfortable doing it. I shot the same shot size in each barrel and each barrel was cylinder bore so it did not matter which barrel I cocked and shot.

If you use different shot sizes in each barrel or have different choke constrictions then you practice until cocking either is second nature and you know whether to pull the front or rear trigger to fire the barrel you have cocked.

One finger to shoot. For me it was very much the same as hunting with a contemporary double except for the act of cocking the hammer.

If we stopped hunting for a rest or anything then I removed the caps from the nipples immediately. I usually lost them before we moved on and it was time to put the back so I carried a good supply with me.

I would also add that at end of the day I would remove the caps, pull the overshot card, empty the shot, remove the overpowder wad and pour out the powder. I would also swab out the barrel when I got home if the barrels had been fired.

You carry on half cock, then cock when you bring to the shoulder; usually one barrel.

If you have time such as in a duck blind or over dogs you may be able to cock both.

You shoot with one finger, usually front to back or right barrel to left barrel. This assumes you are right handed and cocked the right barrel first.

I only cock one barrel at a time, one finger for the triggers, and ALWAYS deprime if reloading one barrel while the other is loaded. :idunno:

It doesn't hurt to tamp down the load from the unfired barrel either when reloading the fired one too. Odds are that it will still be tight, but repeated firings of one barrel and not the other could loosen the load, particularly if they are heavy loads.

I agree with the other poster's comments. = SOUND advice, imVho.

Btw, if you "park" your ramrod in the unfired barrel, while loading the fired barrel, it makes it "almost instinctive" to re-tamp the unfired one before withdrawing it.
(Also it keeps you from LOSING the ramrod or getting it wet/snowy/dirty by laying it down.)

just my OPINION, satx

When reloading after one shot be absolutely CERTAIN to uncap the second barrel; otherwise you will be pointing a loaded gun at your own hands and head. It is all to easy to forget about this. You might get by for years doing it, but sooner or later it will catch up to you.

I have wide hands, but cocking both at once isn't reliable enough for me. Seems like I get one cocked and not the other. Kinda spooky to have that hammer drop back down to half cock when it doesn't engage. Sooner or later I bet a guy would snap/peen his half cock notch.

I see the second shot as more of a follow-up anyway, so it's not a big deal to me to cock one while shouldering, then cock the second if a second shot is needed.

Besides that, you have plenty of time for cocking the second one. Can't see a blooming thing for a second shot until the smoke clears a little. :rotf:

Brown Bear said, "Besides that, you have plenty of time for cocking the second one. Can't see a blooming thing for a second shot until the smoke clears a little."

Point well taken! :hatsoff:

I cock both when necessary. You'd think that one finger on the triggers would protect you from accidentally shooting both at the same time. It doesn't :idunno:

I have only used my Pedersoli 12ga for duck hunting.When I am in the blind and see ducks that look like they might be coming in,I cock both barrels.Most of the time I will shoot twice.If I miss the first,I will almost always fire a second shot.Actually,most of my kills come on the second shot.If I don't shoot,I immediately ease my hammers back all the way down.I never leave them on half cock.I have left them on half cock and when it was time to shoot just heard a snap when I pulled the trigger.The cap had been knocked off somehow.

UNDERSTOOD.

I really love to hunt teal & to quote the famous author Robert C. Ruark, "I don't know whether teal are the hardest easy shooting or the easiest hard shooting but I surely do miss lots of them."
(I miss a LOT more teal than I knock down.)

yours, satx

Dear sir
People here cock both hammers , while hunting wild boars in Sugar cane fields.they use one finger only.using two fingers may result in firing both barrels at a time.
Thanks

When hunting without a dog, cock one barrel at a time...but over a dog, as there may be more than one bird, cock both barrels.

I use one finger, as I know my gun is choked front trigger right = IC choke so up close...back trigger is left barrel = mod choke so medium range. In theory if I get a brace of birds to flush, the first bird will be fired on with the wider IC choke, and the second bird will be extending distance from me, thus the second shot the second farther range pattern of the modified choke.

OR...first shot miss, the bird is then farther away...second shot left barrel, modified choke....

LD

satx78247 said:
UNDERSTOOD.

I really love to hunt teal & to quote the famous author Robert C. Ruark, "I don't know whether teal are the hardest easy shooting or the easiest hard shooting but I surely do miss lots of them."
(I miss a LOT more teal than I knock down.)

yours, satx

I really have to disagree with that assessment. There is NOTHING easy about a Teal.

The right barrel, being cocked first, is fired many more times than the left barrel. On most double guns you will notice that the right lock is more worn than the left lock and the right hammer is often a replacement.

On my Pedersoli Baker shotgun there is only one trigger which fires the left barrel first.Since I use it mainly to hunt rabbits I have the left hammer on half cock and the right hammer down on an empty nipple.I also usually wait to reload until both barrels have been fired.

satx78247 said:
I agree with the other poster's comments. = SOUND advice, imVho.

Btw, if you "park" your ramrod in the unfired barrel, while loading the fired barrel, it makes it "almost instinctive" to re-tamp the unfired one before withdrawing it.
(Also it keeps you from LOSING the ramrod or getting it wet/snowy/dirty by laying it down.)

just my OPINION, satx

That's more than just your opinion, it's damned excellent advice. "Good on ya, mate." as the Aussies say.

Back