• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How you can tell when muzzleloader season is coming to an end...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
how-to-tell-when-hunting-season-is-over.jpg

LOL

Around here, it is a sure sign that the season is over when deer come back to your yard.

Nice!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Our late flintlock season comes in the day after Christmas.

Greg

Dude,

This is just way too cool...! I showed this to my wife and she laughed said "Whatever, you guys are just nuts or way to dedicated :bow: " with a loving smile and admiration.

In the spirit of your post...

I have one final opportunity in NE Missouri, tomorrow to put some meat in the freezer. Unfortunately, the winter storm Draco has made that somewhat more complicated than I have planned.

That's not going to defeat me... this is my only chance to harvest with my 1861 springfield...before the world ends... and going out with a "Bang" :haha:

If anybody has any advice on "cold weather" ML hunting... I am all ears! This will be my first deer hunting adventure with my ML in these conditions...

Basics I'd do are double layer of masking tape over the muzzle, keep the muzzle down lower than the lock, keep the lock up under the flap of the coat, etc.

IMO, the effects on deer from really severe weather changes are hard to predict...at least at your latitude, the rut should be over and that "behavior wild card" is pretty much out of the equation.
If it were me...(and I could actually get out from under the electric blanket and go out in that WX)...I'd look to get down in some low ground out of the wind and as close to a food source as possible.
If it meant sitting down overlooking a trail in a narrow ravine out of the wind, that's what I'd probably do...particularly if it led to a cutover cornfield or something that they might try to get to right at dark.
It's hard for me to compare mild climate North Carolina to what's going on right now in your part of the country...maybe folks from your locale can comment better...good luck.

Roundball,

I appreciate the mindshare here. It should still apply. I am thinking that my ground blind strategy could be improved by your suggestions and will act accordingly. I plan to post some results (hopefully, positive). Thank you for your thoughts.

For anybody interested... it's truly ironic how deer hunting goes! I have been doing this for 10+ years... and it always amazes me what I encounter....and learn.

I Spent four hours friday night in 25 degree weather in my ground blind...then another 3.5 hours Sat morning in 8 degree weather in the ground blind... whoaaa...toes got cold.. Need to buy better cold weather boots.... :grin:

I packed up my gear after "Magic hour plus 1.5" on Saturday morning...."nothing...." :shocked2:

Here is the insult.... were driving out of the property... saw 8 + deer.. mostly does and fauns... no bucks... I am guessing hunting pressure over the last 30 days of "rifle season" has got these deer going "nocturnal".... makes it really tough on Muzzleloader hunting right after "Rifle" season... in Missouri. :surrender:

Back