• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How'd everyone do this year?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First, let me say that any season spent in the deer woods, is a success and a joy, even if you kill something or not. This year has been a particular joy for me. Not that I killed that many deer. To date, I have only killed a single doe. However, this is my first year in which I have totally said goodbye to centerfire rifles and have dedicated myself solely to using muzzleloading weapons, for everything! That said, I had some encounters this season with some very big bucks. I missed a couple of nice bucks (no wounds, thank God), passed on several shots, and overall the experiences from this season have taught me to take my game to another level. I have often felt that I learn more from my mistakes than I do from my successes. I have learned that I need to shoot more, practice more and generally I think deciding to use only muzzleloading weapons has definitely made me a better hunter.

Having said all that, how was your year? Did you guys and gals accomplish your goals? How many deer did you get? Did you get to take some kids hunting? Just let us know a little bit about your season. Thanks!

Jeff

Did not go out a single day. The forest service has cut out the use of ATVs. :cursing:
Dragging my deer out last year nearly ruint me. At age 74 I'm not interested in dropping dead in the woods from cardiac arrest. My deer hunting days may be over with.

That's a damn shame Rifleman. I hate to see someone's joy cut cut short due to limiting physical ailments. I can assure you, if I lived close, I would drag your deer for you. Do you have any young men around who could help you out?

Jeff

Simple solution:

DeerCartPhotoReadyToUse139646_ts.jpg

DeerCartfullyCollapsedforstorage139646i_ts-1.jpg

Jeff, Your season was almost a mirror image of my first all muzzleloader season last year! Killed a Doe, and then missed 2 8-point bucks :cursing: I killed a Spike on opening day this year late in the evening, thought it was a Doe!. Our club has a 3-point minimum on one side, he cost me $100.00!I have endured a lot of ridicule from my hunting buddies, and a few fails. Learned a few lessons as well. I need to shoot a LOT more and now carry some compact binos! Other than that I will not give up! To my hunting buddies :blah:

I have only been able to go one time so far. Our season ends on Jan.31st. so I still have time to go at least one an maybe two more times. Cross my fingers.

I had an enjoyable season. I hunted with a flintlock every time that I made it to the woods. I diddn't get a deer this year, but got to see a good friend (possum73) get into flintlock hunting, and kill his first deer with a flinter. :hatsoff:

By all measures the year was a success. :grin: My two boys (ages 11 and 13) each took a cow elk during an Augest agracultiral season and I got a decent 9 point in December with my trusty .54...
The Oregon department of waste and fraud couldnt grow a deer in an enclosed pen much less manage a wild herd so its a challange to draw for even one deer tag much less two.....

Dec 2012....
20121205_114714-1.jpg

Hunted morning and eve from oct 1st to Dec 31st except for a couple days went for a train ride at Cass Wv. Finally got a nice 8 point with the Bow a few days ago. Coyotes cleaned everything out. Felt bad about flinging an arrow at the Buck but did it anyway. Larry

I killed 3 does this year..one during bow, two during shotgun (one of which was killed with my M'ler). I am still trying for my buck and have this coming weekend for M'loading season. WISH ME LUCK!
Also killed 2 coyotes, one with my M'ler and one with my bow.

I had a very good season, killed a doe and an eight pointer with my .54 flinter...

What made it so good was it's the first time in a few years that I was able to hunt with my flintlock again...My eye sight had gone down hill due to a cataract...I had surgery, opened up the rear sight and can now shoot open sights again...It's been a real blessing, I've been given a second chance... :)

i had a great season. bunch of tree rats in the pot, and a ton of deer meat went to people who needed it, or people who wanted it and traded me fine whiskey (i have beef farm) :} I was able to take a few with my own build fowler which made me very happy.

got my daughter out once this fall and she missed a squirrel with her 22 but we had a blast.

had enough deer skins to hunt late muzzleloader in buckskin from the waist down.
photobucket-76835-1357166971965.jpg

it was a great year.

I got a whitetail doe on Friday; kinda put a poor shot on it though and spined it. It went right down though so there was no tracking it. About 80 yard shot and hit about a foot left and a bit high. Good meat though. Have a good new year.

This year was my first muzzleloader deer hunt.
I did not get to notch my tag but my hunting partner Matt85 did get to notch his tag. He split the meat with me 60/40 so I have venison in the freezer.
I had a good time. Matt was good company. He turned out to be a repository of black powder firearms information. I learned alot from the young man. I got to see parts of my property that I never saw before and I learned that I do indeed have what it takes to sneak up on deer. (to bad every one I did sneak up on turned out to be an off limits deer)
I got to enjoy the fall outside and watch the ducks a number of days.

Next hunting season I plan on notching my deer tag. And if I don't, then it is what it is. I still got out of the house and enjoyed the wilds.

My 16yr old son and I got drawn for a special M/L Bull Elk tag in Eastern Wa. I told him I would be his guide and not carry my rifle until he filled his tag or we got skunked. Well on the evening of day 2 I called in a 5x5 bull and my son put the bull down. I cant even begin to describe the emotions that were pumping through ONE PROUD DAD.
As for me well I had my chance a few days later and could not pull off the shot. Both my son and I were hunting with PRB, his a 54cal Lyman Trade rifle and me a TVM Early VA. 58 cal. Great memories and a very full freezer. The Blk Tail deer gave us fits and we were unable to fill our tags. Time spent outdoors with my son Great Season. Take care.

Had a great year,I managed to get out for a week in WY, and at least once a week from October to the end of December here at home! Challenging but enjoyable, just like it should be!

Lots of this:
photo_zps7e3ca028.jpg

Hunted all year with my 54 smooth bore and got a button buck about 2 weeks ago. I love flintlocks.
Now working on a good turkey load, shot at one in October but didn't get it. was about 30 yards. This spring will try too get in close on Them. :rotf:
Pappy

Hunted all year with my 54 smooth bore and got a button buck about 2 weeks ago. I love flintlocks.
Now working on a good turkey load, shot at one in October but didn't get it. was about 30 yards. This spring will try too get in close on Them. :rotf:
Pappy

IMG_1165_zps1b0bccf8.jpg

Used the new 54 flinter only. Broke it in on a button buck and a black bear, missed a bobcat. The pretty new gun and I spent a week sitting on a pretty ridge looking at this nice rubbed cedar. We never saw the buck that vandalized the poor little cedar trees on this ridge. I do aim to put a stop to it if I ever do. I have one more weekend to hunt him.

12 pointer with bow. Nice doe with the Hawken.

But the best part of this year was hunting in a place of peace and quiet that's also loaded with game. One evening sit during rut (after I shot the 12 pt, but still carrying a doe tag) I saw so many bucks I pretty much lost count..something like 15 or so, and none of them were yearlings. I was sitting over a small food plot and every time does came in, bucks would come in and give chase, sidle, grunt, snort/wheeze, cough, growl. In two hours I saw more than I used to in a season. I could have shot at several does but didn't just because the "show" was so good! Walking out of the woods that evening I thought that if I dropped dead right then and there, I had already been to heaven.

Back