• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted Kramer

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello!
Just found this site. Thanks for letting me in!! I and am looking forward to talking to many of you in the various forums. Hopefully I can add some tidbit here and there that'll help someone out and in the process learn more myself. Most of my m/l shooting is done with flinters, I hunt with them and partake in the occasional target match when time allows. Thanks again!

Ted Kramer

It is a great Forum! I'm certain You'll enjoy passing information back and forth.WELCOME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TedK/Mn: It's good to have you in the camp.
Any quesions or comments are always welcome and with the large number of members we have, someone is bound to have an answer or comment.

This Forum is rather easy going when it comes to rules about the posts so most people feel right at home and among friends.
That is the way the owner wants it so join in whenever you feel like it.

Hi, Ted. Welcome. I'm kinda new, too. Long Prairie is a nice name. I used to drive nearby, through Alexandria, going from home in North Dakota to home in NE Iowa. I look forward to your contributions.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone. Now I just need time to drop in here more often.

Herb, I guess I never thought of how the name "Long Prairie" sounds! I spent one year living in Pleasant Grove, UT (nice sounding name too) when I worked for Western Beaver Farms, Limited. Really enjoyed it there too and might have stayed but my dad got sick and I came back home to help run the farm, been here ever since. I suppose the beaver farms are all gone by now. It was an interesting job.

Ted K

Beaver farms? I heard about frog farms out at Fish Springs NWR, near Dugway, UT, but beaver farms? Is that like a fox farm (used to have one near McGregor, Iowa) or other fur farms?

Hey Ted!

Welcome!!!

I've said it before and I'll reiterate...I believe this is the finest muzzleloading board on the web. Great guys, incredible amounts of knowledge and it attracts the best who are out there looking for a place to land. I have learned so much and hope I have contributed something. I can't wait to hear what you have to say! Don't be shy, jump right in.

Vic

TedK/MN: A Big Welcome to the Camp !! There's always something going on all hours of the day or night. You had said you live in Mt Pleasant Utah, for sometime. My Mother was born there in 1930, My Grandmother was also was from there. My Grandfather was from Spring city, Utah Or I've got the wrong State. Anyway, a big welcome from Oregon, One more thing, this is the best web site on everything to do with Muzzleloading and more. Our brother's that have past on before us, would be proud that we have kept this hobbie going on, and for others a way of life, to help teach others in their seach. Take care, - Steve - Mtn-Man2u :)

Herb-Yep! Beaver farms. It was a pretty neat set up too. They used natural springs to keep water moving through the concrete pens, the beavers had a small area in which to swim in each pen, an elevated dry area, and a "den" in the back of each pen. Pens were in rows of about 10 pens and each day we flushed the pens by pulling out a stopper at the end of each row. When clean, we replaced the stopper and the water pools were filled again with fresh water. Every kit was tattooed on the web of the back foot for identification for future mating.They were fed some special pellet type feed along with green wood which we gathered in big trailers when tree removal contractors called and said they would be cutting one down. Most of the trees were taken from the SLC residential areas. We'd toss a few limbs into each pen and when the beaver had eaten all the bark and soft wood we would pile up the bigger chunks to dry and then would haul pickup loads of the dry firewood to people in SLC. Western Beaver Farms, Limited had several colonies of beaver around Utah and Idaho. I was in charge of the two near Pleasant Grove, there were three right in SLC, one by Lehi, and at least two near Provo. When I left we were just beginning to harvest some of the nice blanket pelts and these were shipped to NYC to be made into coats. The boss, Mac Roundy, showed me the list of investors and it included many Hollywood celebs. That was in 1978. One of the "cooler" of the many jobs I have had. I should go back there one day and see how much things have changed. Doubt I'd recognize the area. Ahhhh...for the good old days. Ted

Back