• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How's the OH late ML shaping up?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondack46r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was in Perry county for bow season. The weather was warm and we didn't see a lot of bucks. I know the first part of regular gun was not great weather as well. Do you guys in the buckeye state think we are looking at a good late ML in January? I will be up again to roam the hardwood ridges around Logan.

46r; we had heavy rain 4 of the 7 days during gun week. the 2 day weekend hunt had a day of rain as well. Overall harvest is down 14% statewide. The first 2 days of the season showed a 39% shortfall. Kill totals are off 15,000 for the gun season. Only Mother Nature knows what the late MZ season will bring. Still plenty of deer out there though. It's all about the hunt anyway, the venison is the icing on the cake. Good Luck, Buzzard

The kill in early bow and shotgun was down over 10%. But lots of corn was late being harvested. Lots of hunters grumbling they aren't seeing deer.

However there has been a lot of awesome bucks killed so far and I'm sure there will be some killed in January.

BTW keep an eye on ODNR's website because of the snafu on the dates that I posted about below.

Yep, the first half of gun season was rained out for the third or fourth year in a row now. And the 2 day gun season last weekend was the worst hunting our deer camp has ever seen. The second gun season was down by more than four thousand from last year so I'm thinkin there Shood be a lot of deer left for muzzleloader.
Aderondack46r, do you hunt the national forest because we hunt our land Thats about 15 minutes from Logan barely into Perry county

What a small world, as i sometimes hunt at Wildcat Hollow, on the Morgan Co side. That's Wayne NF land as well.

As already stated, Ohio gun season was literally a "Wash Out". I hunted with my Renegade the opening day and it was soupy to say the least. I sent my Renegade off to TC for some repairs, hopefully http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/263568/ , so I hunted with my bow for the firearms bonus weekend last Sunday. I saw 9 does, no bucks, and arrowed a big 160 lb doe. I am excited for the late ML season. I found plenty of fresh scrapes last weekend on a quick scout after killing a doe. I saw 2 mature bucks in early bow season that would go high 140"s. A relative of mine that hunts our farm killed a 178" 5 1/2 year old just after the corn was taken off. I stick to the hard woods from Thanksgiving on and as long as its cold, deer will move all day. I think bucks will still respond to estrus bleets and estrus scent clear up to the end of season. Had some out last weekend and none of the does spooked. I say hunt hard all day on the coldest days of Muzzleloader season. I have found that if temps are above 30 deg. deer will move in the at dawn and dusk as usual, but if below that they will move all day. Even better if snow is on the ground. FYI, the recent rain has flooded alot of fields and has standing water everywhere. The deer cant pick the fields and are forced into the sadles and ridges of the hardwoods for browse and acorns. They may still be there come ML season. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
RtWing, I hunt a bunch of areas from Maxville to Shawnee. Usually stay at Bear Run Cabins. They are great people.

I saw your thread on the barrel. That is a scary issue. I would do the same. I am toting a new Lyman 54 cal GPR shooting patch and ball. Looking to bloody it in OH for sure.

So far our forcast is for rain and thirties! Not ideal muzzle loader weather for those driving. But for those on a stand who have learned from experience, the guns will go off! :idunno: :idunno: I drive the gullies since I know the area well. And my nephew and his boy sit and wait. Monday of gun season they got a ten point buck and large doe. Tuesday they got a six point and saturday another large doe. Not bad for 40 calibers!

Back