• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hows the quality of the cabelas blue ridge flint rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for my first flinter,hows the blue ridge rifle by cabelas.It's a toss up between the blue ridge and the lyman gp flinter.
Thanks,murf :confused:

I had a couple of them and a Frontier rifle. Same gun just not sold by Cabelas. They have a good sparking lock and are accurate shooters. They are a bit nose heavy but hold on target well. The lock takes a big 7/8" flint.

Rebel, thanks for the info. Is it easy to find parts for the blue ridge. And cabelas is having a sale right now on them for $409.Is that a good price for one.Thanks,murf

You can get parts for them but they are spendy. Pedersoli is proud of their stuff. Butt other than one lock problem, (had a stirrup stretch) i never needed any parts. I guess any more $409 isn't too bad. Every thing has gotten more expensive. Send me an e-mail.

I have two GPR. Both in .54 cal. One percussion and I just received my flint kit. I also have a Blue Ridge flinter in .45 cal. They are both great rifles in their own rights. The Lyman and the Pedersoli are accruate and reliable. It's a real hard shot to call. The Blue Ridge is more of a southern style long rifle. Long, sleek (sexy) and light weight. The Lyman is a good looking "Hawken" style rifle. It's a shorter, heavier work horse. Can't go wrong with either. I think I would go with the Blue Ridge at this time. They have been running for over 500 for some time. You may never see them this cheap again. The GPR normally run somewhat less.

I love mine, It is very accurate as it puts those roundballs almost in the same hole (raged hole) at 50 yards...Tough to beat.

Mine shoots better than my T/C Encore 209X50 for groups at 50 yards.

murf,
I have a 45 cal blue ridge. Shot alot of deer with her. I've been pleased with the rifle so far (bought it in 1996 I think). So, I've used it every season for 10 years now and have not replaced any parts. I did have to drill out the forward lock screw hole in the stock and put a dowel pin in the stock so that the screw could grab the wood. I took the screw out so many times that I wore out the wood. The screw holds fine since. I think that was a year ago that I did that. I don't own a custom rifle, but I like the blue ridge.

Flint Hunter

cowpoke1955,

What load do you use in your 45 Blue Ridge? I use 50 gr. fff and .010 pillow ticking from Dixie for a patch greased with crisco.

Thanks,
Flint Hunter

Rebel said:
I had a couple of them and a Frontier rifle. Same gun just not sold by Cabelas. They have a good sparking lock and are accurate shooters. They are a bit nose heavy but hold on target well. The lock takes a big 7/8" flint.
What Rebel said, i just got mine and after getting the right flint and setting it right it has been great. I realy like the looks of it and 409 sure sounds like a good price. :thumbsup:
Just went and looked and see thats the 54 at that price, hmmmmmmm :hmm: been wanting one of them. :)

I have the bule ridge in 32. Got mine for 400.00. Nice enought gun. Shoots good. But hard on flints, have to use the man made ones to get very many shots. The lock neeeds tuned. Dilly

I have had 2 cabelas blueridge flint rifles for 10 yrs. .50 ,70 gr.2f.490prb 18th.bear greased patch & .36,30gr.3f.350 prb,(000buckshot)10th.bear greased patch.
both both will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yrds, as long as I do my part . No problems with parts or locks on either gun , and yes they have been shot a lot . Track of the wolf sells replacement springs. I have not had to replace any of mine .
I get my flints from Rich Pierce and the don't eat the frizzens. and I get lots of sparks.
Slenk

I have had three of them, and liked them a lot. My favorite of the bunch was a carbine version, but I don't know if they even make them anymore. I think $409.00 is a good price these days, and basically it boils down to the style you prefer. My friend's GPR is a shooter, too. Mine were in .54 caliber, and helped with the weight and balance a little.

Good luck!

Flint, I use 70 grains of FFFg, .440 cast balls and pillow ticking .015 from Joanne's with home made Moose Milk. I know each rifle is different, but this works excellent in mine. I had some old timers help me to develope this load. I did change the front sight. Replaced it with a Ted Cash German Silver front sight from Dixie. The blade is thinner and gave me a better sight picture. From the bench at 50 yards it will shoot one ragged hole.

I may have to try changing my front sight too. I'm having trouble seeing the original now. Getting older and having a little difficulty. :shocked2: I painted the front sight orange the other night to see if that would help. I'm going to try it this evening at the range. I'm using .445 round balls now, but I have some .440. I may get some .015 patching and see what happens sometime later. I want to experiment more with patch grease as well.

Thanks

Flint Hunter, do I understand correctly, the lock is held in by a wood screw instead of a bolt?

The orginal rifles were more often fitted with one thru bolt. A wood screw was inserted into the front of the side plate to hold it. One thru bolt is all you need if the lock plate is well seated. The reason for not using a front thru bolt is good. By not having the front bolt allows for a larger ram rod to enter the breech area. Other wise you need a smaller rod or a tappered rod. :thumbsup:

Trot,

Rebel answered the question, but to confirm, the front is held in place with a wood screw. I replaced the wood in this area after it wore out. Working fine now. I have shot the rifle without the screw and it works, but I didn't want to leave the screw out.

Flint

cowpoke1955,

I have the Ted Cash siver sites on order. Thanks for the tip. The orange sight paint works, but not very well in dim light. Storm clouds at the range Sunday and I couldn't see the color and I don't think it would have mattered much what color I painted them.

I've had mine for a number of yrs. now, Hasn't failed me yet. lock really throws alot of sparks so ignition is fast. All in all a vary good gun, mine is a 50 cal.

Latest posts

Back