• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hummingbird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a wonder to actually hold. I've revived a couple I've in held in cupped hands and blown my warm breath on after they knocked themselves out on a window. A picture of me with one was published in "Birds and Blooms" magazine. Sadly I recently had a male that hit very hard, I rushed out but his neck was broken 😥. His tiny body was still very warm when I picked him up. I weighed one once, it only weighed 42 grains. All we get here are the Ruby Throats. We had some friends at our house from Germany and they were fascinated with them swarming at the feeders, they not having any in Germany.

Last edited:
they have a fascination of my garage. if the overhead door is left open i always have to check for one.
we have two feeders out on the front porch and the little democrats come to the living room windows when the feeders are empty.
we have a bunch of grosbeaks that get salt in the driveway. once in a while one will smack a window hard enough to knock themselves out.
I grab them up and go to the sugar water in the hummer's feeders. revives them quickly most times.

I have a problem with them getting in my barn if I leave the door open for any length of time. My workshop is in there, so the door is open often for hours at a time. I noticed one flying in and out numerous times as I worked. I went to check where it was going and found that it was building a nest in a motorcycle helmet that I had on a shelf.
Another time I was gone for a week and had closed and locked the barn. Upon opening it up again I found a dead ruby-throated hummingbird lying on my work bench under a window. A few small items had been knocked off the windowsill. I guess the bird had been trapped in the barn during my absence, fluttered at the window, and starved to death. They have very high metabolism and must eat often.

In the evenings (even in this heat) my 63 pound poodle , Bullwinkle, a cold beer, and I sit on the front porch and watch the hummingbirds at the feeders. It reminds me of WWI air combat how they fight each other for access. Very fascinating and beautiful little creatures. And out front the bluebirds dive bomb the front yard picking off bugs in the grass. It's somehow gratifyingly to be the old geezer in the neighborhood and be so content.

Inbound for the morning feeding.
hummers 003.JPG
After coming to an understanding and cooperation.
hummers 004.JPG

On my deck we have 6 feeders with 4-6 stations each. We are going though 1 1/4 gallons of day of feed for the last month.

They will leave between 9/7 and 9/12 the late day was recorded last year. Wife and I drink our tea after supper sitting on the screened porch, there is always one flying over to hover and say Hi!

Can't count them all but way over 60 right now as the baby's growing up are fatting up for the trip south

The latest I’ve seen one at my feeders in N. IL. is Sept. 24th, so I’ve only got about three weeks left of enjoying them. Sure been thirsty this year, I’ve gone through more nectar than I can recall.
My birds are VERY territorial. They never allow more than one to feed at a time, I’ve only seen two on the feeders at once one time this summer.
I have a small male who’s been here two years now on my one feeder. We’ve named him Rufous, he’s kinda scruffy looking and smaller than others which is why we recognized him from last year. He’ll sit on top the Shepards hook the feeder is hanging on every morning and evening and guard that thing like it’s his. Chases away all the others looking for a quick meal.

Checking my notes , We usually see ours depart around Last of Sept. to Early Oct. (The latest was 2022 when they left on Oct. 5th.) Then a few stragglers come through. I'll keep at least two feeders up till Halloween. Except for the stragglers, its like a light switch is turned off. One evening all is normal. Next morning... empty feeders. I hate to see 'em go. If I'm still on this side of the sod , I'll see them again in mid to late April. But on the plus side, my bluebirds Winter over.

Thirty miles North of Houston, on the Western edge of the Piney Woods:
I've been seeing one hummingbird for the last two weeks, and now 2 or so in the past week.
A previous comment mentioned them being territorial. I can vouch for that! The male is a dic...tator. He doesn't let the female eat while he's around.
I haven't documented their schedules, but I guess I'll start. I keep track of the birds at my feeder, but not the dates.
Real Men appreciate Hummingbirds!

Latest posts

Back