• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hummingbird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this fellow fly into the cabin and once it got fixed on a window it wouldn’t fly out the open door. We had to evict it manually. It took a moment to get its bearing then flew away unharmed. What I found to be remarkable is how hot its body was in my hand!
IMG_0111 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
We used to have that happen quite often in the milking parlor, the little guys would keep trying to get out through the window panes then get stunned, so we carry them outside, ungrateful little things wouldn't even say thank you. 😉

Hey Moose,
Just for fun, let me know when the Hummingbirds leave New Hampshire and I will let you know when they have gone from Northern Alabama. Should be interesting. I hope I live long enough to see their return next spring.
Hope I do as well. I'll be 79 in 3 weeks, and the dang Agent Orange is not kind to me.

The smallest of the hummingbirds are the various "bee" hummingbirds found in Cuba. They actually weigh less than a copper penny, and flap their wings 80 times a second, hence sounding like a bee.

Lots of good, correct information here. The 4:1 water to sugar mix is by volume, not weight, of course. Similar to how most muzzleloaders measure black powder loads. Don't add food coloring. I refresh/wash feeders every 5 to 7 days depending on how warm out it has been. You don't want to hear my advice about birds and cats.

If so it must be some awful small insects.
I have seen them eat ants that get on the feeders, one ruby throat male will hover up where the wire hanger hooks to the tree limb at our back deck and pick them off as they go down the wire. Took me a while to figure out what he was up to. They also eat mosquitos.

We have 2 feeders on the porch and enjoy watching them fight over the food. There is a nest in the tree in the yard maybe 10 yards away. We have seen it a couple times. There has been a juvenile hummingbird coming to the feeder. It is so small and cute.

We can sit under the feeders on the bench and they come within 3 feet of us if we are still.

Don

They do have a memory. They will go to where you had feeders last year.
That means, even though they fly thousands of miles in their yearly migration, and see thousands of houses, they remember where your house is, and where the feeders used to be. And, it's probably not just your house, but they remember every house with a feeder along their route!
They might have bird brains, but their memories put my recall-ability to shame!

We have a deck off our bedroom where my wife hangs her hummingbird feeder along with a variety of hanging plants the Rubies seem to like, great place for my morning coffee break, things are always humming!
Well for the last few weeks something comes in the night and drains the sugared water out of the feeder which she refills every morning. I am putting a game camera out there today with hopes of identifying the culprit! I'm thinking flying squirrels but its just a wild stab. I'll post pictures if I get any. This is the same deck where we woke up to a pile of bear scat, so who knows!
Robin

Latest posts

Back