• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hummingbird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeding this one sugar water from my finger tip after I found it in the garage on the floor. Had it in the house doing this. Do you have any idea how fast they recoup and take flight. Lot of fun to try to catch and take outside.

Attachments

• E645D2CD-28DF-4788-A2E2-933A6BD745B8.jpeg
    E645D2CD-28DF-4788-A2E2-933A6BD745B8.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
We have nectar feeding bats coming every night to use the hummer feeder until about mid October. returning again in May. They are rather sloppy feeders and spill a lot, draining it most nights that I leave it out.

That means, even though they fly thousands of miles in their yearly migration, and see thousands of houses, they remember where your house is, and where the feeders used to be. And, it's probably not just your house, but they remember every house with a feeder along their route!
They might have bird brains, but their memories put my recall-ability to shame!
Maybe some wasted research funds could be better spent researching Hummingbird hearts and brains. :dunno:

That means, even though they fly thousands of miles in their yearly migration, and see thousands of houses, they remember where your house is, and where the feeders used to be. And, it's probably not just your house, but they remember every house with a feeder along their route!
They might have bird brains, but their memories put my recall-ability to shame!
When I lived in Ohio, the hummers built a nest on the same limb of a poplar tree about 40 feet from the porch for 5-6 years in a row. I can't say it was the same pair every year, but like like to think so. Or maybe their young'uns. Lots of trips from the porch feeders back and forth to the nest.

I had ants getting into the feeder so I lightly coated the wire that it hangs from with heavy oil, that stopped them!
Why didn't I think of that? An easy fix for a vexing problem!!!!! ... I'll try it next year, as the ruby-throated hummingbirds have now gone from our home in New Hampshire. We're currently in Utah and the last of the black-chinned hummingbirds apparently left yesterday as the feeder is now untouched

Latest posts

Back