• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Humpback flints, a quick haircut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Taking a break today from my newest hobby here in Western North Carolina, cutting up toppled trees, and thought I would try an inexpensive 80 grit diamond file from Amazon at giving haircuts to some humpback flints.

In addition to a file, I used a small Pano Vice with plastic jaws to hold the flint. Any vice with soft jaws will work.

Here is a photograph of a double humper flint that I figured I’d start with.
1728674058629.jpeg

Clamped it up in the vice with the humps above the plastic jaws, only gripping the thick end, no sense stressing the thin striking edge of the flint, plenty of that will come later.
1728674250221.jpeg

Grabbed the diamond file and knocked down the humps in short order until the flint looked fairly square. For those that like to measure things, I removed about .080” from the pictured flint.
1728675738821.jpeg

1728674493491.jpeg

1728674525700.jpeg

Only took a few minutes and I had three ‘flat’ flints ready to go, with plenty more humped ones to go if I get ambitious.
1728674736186.jpeg

1728676246694.jpeg
I’m not sure how long before the flints start beating up the file, but for $13 I’m not going to complain.
1728675087187.jpeg

It’s worth noting that the process quickly generates some very fine and hazardous dust if one were to breathe it in. Probably best to do outside.

Last edited:
But ... for SAFETY (seriously!) ... think asbestos and mesothelioma ... ideally wear a NIOSH-rated mask or at least work with the flints downwind whilst in a strong breeze - outdoors of course.

I do similar, but use diamond wheels in a Dremel tool, as I can fix them in but seconds!

But ... for SAFETY (seriously!) ... think asbestos and mesothelioma ... ideally wear a NIOSH-rated mask or at least work with the flints downwind whilst in a strong breeze - outdoors of course.

I do similar, but use diamond wheels in a Dremel tool, as I can fix them in but seconds!
I initially had a comment in the OP about the dust accelerating the health impact of chain smoking, but left it out.

And a Dremel or a bench grinder with the correct cutting stone will do the job remarkably fast, I just don’t want to deal with the dust generated.

I use a 180 grit diamond plate to grind down the hump and resharpen the edges.

Latest posts

Back