• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunted too late.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quit hunting 3 Lakes in the 70s .. when all the deer became "extinct".

I hunt from Lakeland (Green Swamp) north to Apalachicola NF. When you're over 65, you can hunt some areas without a permit. It's the only good thing I've found about getting old.

A red wine marinade helps too.

Would you have been allowed to use a bow after the firearms use ended? Obviously, a game warden with you in tow would have probably allowed you to finish the job, or maybe he would have done it for you. I don't know if they have paperwork to fill out if they discharge a weapon in those circumstances. Being government, probably yes, but maybe not a mandatory review board, like they have to do if they shoot at a human.

Since it was a closed period, I didn't want to be accused of hunting illegally by carrying any hunting weapon. Maybe it would have been OK but how would you feel if you saw a guy drag out an antlerless deer while carrying a gun or bow knowing that the season was closed?
I would be on my phone calling the LEO. And in this case the deer was freshly killed. It would look pretty bad, wouldn't it? :doh:

all the wardens i work around would have told you how bad they felt about giving you the ticket as they were writing it out and loading your deer in their truck. Season was closed and there you would have been, gun in hand with a deer bleeding from a new gun shot. On the gov. forest land there are so many different type game and hunting violations that the wardens take a firm stance on any type violation for the protection of public safety. A few years ago a guy killed a huge buck on the u.s. forest management area, he was so happy but there wasnt any other hunters to show it off to. He took it to the check station, backed his truck up to the scales and stood there with the biggest smile on his face when the warden came out the office with his coffee cup in hand. He told the warden how he couldn't believe no one else was there hunting on the last day. The hunter was sure it was going to be a new record buck . The warden still in a state of shock just shook his head and went back in the office made a call to another officer refilled his cup and came back out. By this time the hunter had called his son to tell him the great news and the son told dad how bad he done f'ed up. The hunter looked at the warden and asked was yesterday the last day, the warden just nodded his head and flopped that black book down on the tail gate. You did the right thing.

Back