• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunter Education

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you folks are State certified Hunter Eduction Instructors? Also, what states are you from and how many hours are you mandated to instruct?

I've been an HE Instructor in California for about 25 years. We are required to teach one class per year and attend one training conference per year. Every year I teach 4 or 5 classes with about 25 students per class. GW

I have been teaching since 1982. We are suppose to teach at least one class every 2 years. Training classes are rare, but I attend when they are offered.

MY classes are large- I am greedy!--- with 40-80 students being typical. If I am going to teach a 10 hour course free of charge,, I would just as soon have a big class a couple of times a year, than 3 or 4 small classes a year. My classes are usually lecture, show and tell, because we have very few ranges around that have enough space indoors to allow us to teach classes. However, once a year, working with our local Pheasants Forever Chapter, we hold a live fire practice, and canned hunt at a local hunting preserve, and I send out notices to all my students from the prior year, inviting them to attend. They get to shoot clay targets with their shotguns, and then go out into the field and shoot a pheasant that is released from a trap. They end the course by field dressing and then removing the feathers from the bird, and putting the carcass in a plastic bag to take home.

I also ask parents and guardians- whoever is going to take the young student hunting- to attend the class with the child.

I want them to know what I am teaching their kid, so if they disagree, we adults hammer out the problem, not the adult and his child.

I also give coaching tips to the adults so they know HOW to teach/coach their child in the field, and the range.

The presence of the adults in the classes helps the kids relax, pay attention, eliminates discipline problems, and raises the level of discussion, impressing the young students that the is a serious activity, and they have to be AS RESPONSIBLE AS any adult.

The kids love being credited for understanding, and they like being given a chance to prove they can be responsible.

For the adults, my class is often the very first time they have had to sit with their child(ren) in a classroom setting, and see how their child learns. It helps them better judge how ready the child is to be given the responsibilities that go with hunting, and shooting, and how much of that responsibility should be given to them.

If the parent is Not Certified, I have them register and take the test. That gives them the additional opportunity to judge whether the instructor(s) covered the material that is on the test adequately or not, so they better understand how well their child is paying attention, and actually learning in the class. Until the recent raising of the minimum score to 80% for passing, I rarely had any students fail to achieve at least the minimum score of 70% on the old test.

I volunteered to be a H-S instructor because I was impressed with the goal of the program, which was to educate students and get them ready to be safe hunters. Unfortunately, the program is being taken over here by Education people, who think their primary function in life is to prove how smart they are compared to the students, by asking difficult, convoluted questions, use inappropriately difficult words and language on test, and generally ask trick questions to try to fail as many students as possible. It creeped into the Boating Safety program first: now I see it happening with the H-S program. I am not going to teach Boating Safety again unless it changes. I have not made up my mind about the H-S classes. I certified close to 2000 students in the first 25 years I taught H-S. NO firearm Accidents, injuries or death reported from my students, at least so far. ( You really can't fix Stupid! :shocked2: :rotf: ) :thumbsup:

I am just looking into becoming an instructor here in NJ. Our requirements include New Instructor Training, which includes a written test as well as live fire training. Instructors are also required to attend at least one seminar or workshop each year, and teach at least 6 weekend days per year.

From what I've seen, class sizes run from 50-150 students. However, the book work is done in a home-study format. There is a work book that must be completed before the day of the course. The class is a one-day field session and written exam. The students are broken up into groups. Some take the written exam while others are at the range, and another group is doing a field walk to review things such as crossing a fence and tree stand safety. And some of these classes are further broken down according to discipline (bow, shotgun, muzzleloader). There are separate written tests for each discipline, and obviously the range sessions are different.

Flyboy, I taught hunter education for the National Field Archery Association before the state of New York made it a requirement. We were grandfathered in by the state, after a written and shooting test, and I have been doing it for the state ever since. I don't remember the year, seems like a long time ago, hell,
everything feels like a long time ago. Ten hours is required the minimum, that, I am told, is so NYS certification complies with the national standard, making NYS certification acceptable to all other states. I am not certified for the gun course, but do help them out with muzzleloader part sometimes, except for the inline part. I don't know anything about them.
Robby

I just got certified as an instructor here in New Hampshire, and have yet to teach my own course. But I have helped as an assistant instructor at one class, and have been asked to help another comming up this month. We are only required to teach once a year to maintain our certifcation, but I'm planning to apply to be a chief instuctor so I can hold my own classes next year!

:hatsoff: I personally thank you for your contribution to the youngsters opting to enter into this sport. For they are OUR future. Without dedicated people like yourself Hunting would fade into history faster than rumble seats. Again, thank you. Vern

I started teaching here in Colorado 4 years ago. I got "volunteered" sort of at the annual rifle club meeting back then. Me, a carpenter, who was terrified at the thought of public speaking. I never dreamed it would be so much fun, and rewarding.
One of my fellow instructors, who has been instructing around 20 years, is a fellow blackpowder shooter I have known almost 30 years. On range day, you can be sure everyone gets to shoot at least one shot with a muzzleloader. When given a choice, everyone wants to shoot a flintlock over the caplocks. We only show traditional arms in class and on the range. Inlines only get a mention because they are on the state written test.
We have to take one class a year to stay current, can't remember offhand how many classes we have to teach, but we only offer a one week evening class with a Saturday range day 3 times a year at this location. So far, I haven't missed teaching at least 2 nights every class, and shooting on range day.

I've been an instructor for a bit over a year up here in ND, we are just mandated to teach once within a 2 year period.

My gun club has "hunter safety" classes and completing this course is a prerequisite for obtaining hunting licenses in Wisconsin. But....is this another case of teaching youngsters what parents should be teaching their kids and which is similar to the situation in which parents are relegating "parenting" to school teachers? At the age of 8 my father let me use an old single shot Sears-Roebuck .22 but along w/ it's use came "instructions" regarding safe handling of a firearm regarding myself and other people. I did the same "instructions" w/ my 2 sons and it "paid off" on one event where luckily no one was injured. Perhaps gov't mandated "hunter safety" classes are necessary because of parental indifference, but isn't this justifying passing the "parental obligation" to others whether they be "hunter safety" instructors or school teachers?....Fred

Yes it is, Fred. And, sadly, its necessary because so many kids today grow up in a one parent home, in cities, where they have NO one to teach them, and no access to safe areas to hunt.

The reason I ask parents to attend the class with their children is so they ARE involved in the teaching process. I give them coaching tips so that they can do a much better job- even than their fathers might have done when they were first hunting--coaching their kids in the field.

Some parents tell me this is all new to them, too. Other parents hunted with parents, or grandparents as kids, but haven't touched a gun since high school, and moving into Urban areas. They are taking both themselves and their children BACK to the way WE were raised. More power to them. The truly lucky parents are experienced hunters, who contribute immensely to the atmosphere in my classes, for all the kids and other parents, with their stories, their great questions, and their knowledge of guns and hunting.

After WWII, America became an Urban nation, with more people living and working in cities and suburbs, than in rural areas. By 1950, less the half the population was involved in farming or agricultural jobs. That population continues to shrink. That has changed the politics of this country, and with that change, the role of government.

I believe in less government. I am NOT a paid employee of the Government. I am a VOLUNTEER Instuctor, when I teach Hunter Safety. There are general outlines of what the course should be given by the State, and a State prepared test for students to pass, but NO one tells me what to teach in my classes.

They really can't. Hunting issues differ around the country, based on the terrain, the available wildlife to hunt, and the kinds of firearms most commonly used for hunting that game.

Here in Illinois, the Shotgun is the " Firearm of Choice" to use to shoot a member of your own hunting party. That is the statistical fact. So, in order to try to reduce the hunting accidents further in Illinois, I concentrate on talking about shotgun safety. I do cover safety issues with Bows and Arrows, and with handguns and rifles, but we have so few accidents in the state involving these other firearms/weapons, that statistically, they are NOT a safety issue here.

If you look at the data from Colorado, traditionally, you have more Hunting accidents involving rifles, than with pistols or shotguns. If I were teaching in Colorado, I would spend a lot more time talking about Gun Safety using Rifles.

When I was trained as an instructor, I was told that it was my responsibility to shape the material I taught to put emphasis on the problems that are most likely be encountered by students hunting in my own area.

I usually know when I have students taking the course to hunt out West, in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Montana, and New Mexico. When I have such students in a class, I do take time to point out all the safety issues involving using, carrying, and shooting rifles.

The same when I have more than a couple of Archers in my class. The material in the book is not very extensive, so I discuss matters not in the book. I tell them to write notes in the margins of their books. And, because I do have experienced Hunters in my classes( those parents)I ask for comments from them to amplify and supplement what I ( or my assisting instructors) have covered.

There was a day when you could expect every "dad" to know about firearm safety, and to take the responsibility to teach his children these important lessons on responsibility. With few ranges available, and NO safe place to hunt, using guns, Most fathers and kids don't have the same opportunity we once all had to do these things.

By asking parents to come to the classes, and then comment on the issues, share their stories, we FEW hunters that are left are able to teach more than just our own kids about hunting and firearm safety, and that will keep the sport safe, and alive. Its the best opportunity we have, with government approval, to counter the anti- hunting, and Anti-gun propaganda these kids are drowning in at school, and in their TV and print media. BTW, I discuss media bias with the kids, and my own fight against it, calling, and writing letters to editors, and Station owners, to complain about it, whenever it appears. I ask the kids and their parents to join my fight, and if they don't want to be known as gun owners, to simply call me and let me know if some teacher is out of line preaching anti-gun, and anti-hunting messages in class, or if they see or hear a similar message on TV or radio, or in the papers. I don't have any trouble at all going to bat for our kids, and taking on the School Administrators, and teachers involved.

I do a lot better job of teaching our kids RESPONSIBILITY than what they are doing in our public schools, for that matter, and I don't mind having to remind them of that fact, and share the statistics on Hunter Safety and the role that H-S education programs have had in reducing accidents to new record lows.

PLEASE, JOIN THE FIGHT! JUST DON'T GRUMBLE ABOUT IT!

:thumbsup:

I agree w/ most of what you said...where I differ greatly is attributing the lack of teaching of "responsibility" by teachers. This isn't the teacher's "job"...it's the parents obligation. Also, attributing anti-gun talk to teachers isn't correct...my five kids never heard a word of ant-gun speech from any public school teacher and one of my sons is presently an elementary school teacher and I've discussed this very subject w/ him and he's not aware of any ant-gun speech from any teacher in his school.Sounds like you just don't like public schools. I apologize for this "waaay off topic" post....Fred

I have been a certified Michigan D.N.R.Hunter Education instructor since about 1985 or so. I usually teach out of the Linden sportsmen club, Linden Mich., Which has two classes a year of about 50 students. I have also taught variously at other places. Very rewarding experience. We need to Attend renewal classes every three years, and teach at least one class during that period. I hope you enjoy your teaching experience as much as I have. Len

Fred: I live in a very 'Liberal " community where the NEA controls the teacher's Unions. I have received complaints here locally for years about teachers preaching anti-hunting, and anti-gun nonsense to our kids. If you are near any large urban area, those schools are prime targets for this kind of "teaching " by our enemies.

Two things I have learned over the years I have fought these people of use to all of the rest of us:

1. You can't expect School boards to take disciplinary actions against these teachers for this kind of behavior, as the boards are composed of people who feel this is the right thing to teach, too!

2. The lefties don't like to be picketed, or exposed for the lies they tell.

Because the states sponsor these Hunter Safety Courses, Courts are someone more inclined to reign in the renegade teachers who would preach against the values taught in our courses. If picketing, and denouncing these teachers publicly doesn't get action, a lawsuit in Court will, on this issue. The Attorneys for the School Boards know this, and don't want the black eye- professionally, or for their client( the School District). For that reason only , most of these kinds of suits are settled without a public Court trial. But, it does take time, the errant teachers are not fired, and we are left playing the game criminals play with our courts- catch me if you can, NEXT TIME. NO one yet has the resources to monitor all the teachers all the time. We are dependent on the watchful eyes and ears of our children.

I am a Pa. Hunter Ed. instructor. Have been involved for the past 10 years officailly and at least 5 or more as a guest instructor. In Pa. you are required to teach at one course every year and attend one training session every two years. I usually am involved in at least three courses a year.

It is sad that we have to have the gov't step in to teach kids what historically was taught by the parent, I do wish they had an equiviancy test for those who were taught properly, of course much of the course is about conservation now, the class is not all safety like when I was a kid.

Mostly, today's course is all about all the darn rules they have added and added each year, until you need a New York Lawyer, a Doctor, and an Accountant, to be with your on a hunt, just to protect you from breaking any of the rules. And they are now whining about the loss of hunters buying tags each year. Yah Think???

I have kept teaching because I AM a lawyer, and I represent about the only chance my students have of understand what they are required to do, told to them in ENGLISH, instead of legal jibberish!

Back