• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting antelope in wyoming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiser96

32 Cal.
Reaction score
when i was in wyoming i saw alot of antelope and i always thought i would like to hunt for them. now that i have a black powder rifle makes me want to do it now. my 1st question, is a 45 caliber rifle big enough to hunt antelope with? 2nd i noticed they only have 1 day for black powder, would this be impossible to do? on the wyoming game and fish website has sept. 1,aug 20th. as the dates to hunt with muzzleloaders but has a 0 by type what does this mean?

I`ve been out that way a few times and have also seen plenty of antelope on the planes. I`m sure .45cal would be enough gun to kill one because they`re really not that big a critter. The problem would be in getting close enough for the limited range of a .45cal gun. I love .45cal and usually use it for deer hunting, but if I were going antelope hunting I`d use a bigger gun for the increased effective range. Probably a .54cal. It`s also windy as heck on them plains and a bigger ball would be less affected by a cross wind than a .45cal.

SgtSchutzen said:
I`ve been out that way a few times and have also seen plenty of antelope on the planes. I`m sure .45cal would be enough gun to kill one because they`re really not that big a critter. ..........I were going antelope hunting I`d use a bigger gun for the increased effective range. Probably a .54cal. It`s also windy as heck on them plains and a bigger ball would be less affected by a cross wind than a .45cal.

Ditto THIS but IF I was going to use a .45 (really more of a squirel gun :wink: ) Id have a good conical that I was comforatbble to 100 - 115 yards with. You CAN blind hunt them and get in close near water holes but other then that they are a treat to TRY to sneak up on.. :grin:

I lived in Wyoming for a while and Antelope are very fun to hunt. If you plan on using PRB, then wind and range are going to be huge factors. I have stalked within bow shot on a group of antelope. Wind and topography have to be right. I used a .270 Win. for antelope, deer and elk. I didn't catch the BP bug until after I left.

pronghorn.jpg

Northern CO 3 years ago, used my Lancaster, patched .54 roundball, 90 grs. FF, mink oil lube. About 70 yards, I guess, put him down pretty good. .54 is what I would suggest, better long range "whompability". Good luck trying to sneak up on one.

To hunt Wyoming antelope, you must get into their drawing for a tag. Application deadline is soon.

The closest I ever killed an antelope was 15 feet. It is possible to get close to them by using terrain and whatever brush is available. If you get one, get it skinned, quartered and on ice within an hour and you will have excellent meat.

I would suggest calling the Wyoming Game and Fish at 1-307-777-4600 for the information you need regarding their muzzleloader hunts. The drawing deadline for antelope is March 15. Antelope are fun to hunt and have unbelievable eyesight. They can see movement from great distances, which adds to the challenge. Much of southern and eastern Wyoming is private land, so you might ask G&F for help choosing an area to apply for. Good Luck!

Many hunting shows are now useing pop up blinds at water holes for rifle and bow hunts. If they can get them within bow range then you should have no problem. Geo. T.

If you're more interested in meat than headgear, you can buy OTC, Doe/Fawn tags after the drawing for around $50. It's one of the best value hunts in the country! I believe there is a limit of 3 per person.
I hunted units 88 & 89 in 2010 & came home with 2 nice fat does both shot at 75ish yards (simultaneously) with a .54 roundball & 90gn of FFg out of my GPR, Thumpy. Stalking through the sagebrush is extremely challenging, as is waiting for the wind to drop below 40 knotts! I'd advise wearing a ghillie suit to stand a half-decent chance for success on foot. You can also set up near fence crossings (Don't forget, antelope go under, not over!) or water. However, at least when I went in October, water was NOT a problem. Yeah, it rains. A lot!
Going late in the season, late September onward, you'll be in the midst of general rifle season, but if you can wait until October, Elk season is about to kick in & most folks are concentrating on the Wapiti, not the 'loopers.

Born and raised in Wy. 45 is plenty powerful for antelope. Just keep your shots under 100 yards.Either set up on a waterhole or use your binocs and use the Terrain to get close. Remember that antelope have the equivelant of 8-10 power binoculars! My grandfather and a few of my uncles were game wardens and hunting guides and I used to be a professional guide...antelope being my specialty and I have used 45-50 and 54 caliber ...they all work great. Just get close and read the wind. As soon as you get one down gut it ...keep it clean and get a block of ice in the cavity to cool it down! ( we use a milk jug filled with water and frozen).

Back