• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting,Camping and Cleaning a Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My 14 year old and I love to Squirrel hunt and camp at our local WMA.This coming year I will be sporting my new to me .36 cal fullstock percussion rifle.The camping will be primitive with no running water.After a days hunt I'll need to clean the rifle.I'm thinking a couple of gallons of distilled water,a small bottle of Ivory soap,plenty of cleaning patches and some gun oil will get me by but I would like to hear from the hunters/campers for any suggestions.

The way I do this is to carry along a small empty coffee can. Or a large one will work, but since your are primitive camping small should be better. Inside that can is a small container of wd40, a small container of liquid dish soap, A spare jag, a nipple wrench and a bunch of wiping patches.

It's self contained. You don't need disteilled water nor do you need to carry water for cleaning if you are near a creek or pond with reasonably clean water.

Rather than flush the bore just run soapy patches. You only need a few ounces of water to dampen the patches (as mentioned by Marmotslayer - stream water is fine). But then wipe with something like Sheath or Barricade to displace the water. Next day, before loading, wipe with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I'm assuming you're going to have a water supply right where you're camping. Or is it dry camping like we do in the desert of the Southwest?

If you've got a water source in or near camp, use almost any container from your cook kit. If you're used to using soap for cleaning, go for it, but use what you brung for washing dishes in camp.

I don't see you needing to carry or do anything different than you would at home. A jag for your ramrod and a few cleaning patches. I always carry those in my shooting bag anyway. Same for a little tiny bottle of oil.

If you are just going to get 'em dirty again in a few hours, just swab 'em out with wet wipes cut into patch size pieces. Might have to double the wipe, but it works.

Be sure to dry and oil 'em good too.

God bless

Latest posts

Back