• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting deer with my .40 "poor boy"...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jatuttle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been sighting in my .40 "Mississippi Poor boy" caplock (42" bbl, 1/66 twist) with Hornady .395 patched lead balls over 50-55 grains of Pyrodex fffG (pistol powder). Accuracy great, just wanted to see if the experts would feel comfortable with this load on a deer from 50 yards or less. I'm in deep woods in a stand, not many long shots there. Season is next week.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Jeff in MS

I killed a doe at 40yrds with RB, 40grs of 3f in a .45 Seneca, this same gun killed a trophy buck with 55grs 3ff,RB. Shot by my buddy. But I usually shoot a .50. I have a .40 and it is a good groundhog gun, never used it for deer. Know of a guy in W.Va that shot them all the time with a .32 Cherokee. I believe it can do it. Dilly

Forgot to mention, in Ohio .38 is smallest caliber allowed. Dilly

Thanks dilly. That makes me more confident. I think it's the same requirement here in MS. The man who built it for me spoke highly of the 40 as a good all around rifle for small and medium game. This will be the first time I am in a good spot with any hope of taking a deer sized critter.
Jeff

That should be enough for the range you are talking about. A couple of weeks ago I shot a 6 point buck with a 45 round ball and 50grs of GOEX 3-f and he dropped in his tracks.

If you will put the ball exactly where it needs to go at the yardage you have set for yourself then yes it will get er done. BUT I would still rather have a bit bigger ball for deer. Hope you do well :thumbsup:

I`ve never used a .40 but have killed my share with a .45cal round ball. I don`t see why a .40 wouldn`t work if you only shoot inside of 50yrds or so and hit them in a good spot. Animals are killed by shot placement more so than the size of the ball.

My hunting partner shot a deer with his 40 a few years back. He knocked it off of its feet and then as he was reloading it got up and ran off. We tracked and found it 40 minutes later, 2 fields away and it was in rough shape but not dead yet. I would heartily suggest a bigger gun. He got a lung and broke the shoulder and it still ran on 3 legs falling down every now and again.

I have no personal experience hunting deer with a .40, but I know a couple of guys who do, and they don't have any troubles that I've ever heard of. They are both experienced hunters, cool in the woods and will turn down any questionable shot.

I've never shot Pyrodex, so I don't know how it compares to regular black powder as far as power is concerned. If it is about the same as BP, I think I'd work up a load with a bit more zip. I shoot a .40 with a 1:66" twist, 42" barrel, and i've found a load of 65-70 grains FFFg Goex to be very accurate in my gun. That gives me a MV approaching 2000 fps, and I'd want at least that, maybe 2100 for deer hunting. 2200 fps wouldn't be bad. That little 92 gr. roundball needs some velocity to give it some punch.

Let us know how it goes, please. I've been considering taking a deer with my .40, and so any concrete input will be welcome.

Spence

Yes it will work. When I first got my .40 I was using 55grs Pyrodex RS with .395 Hornady ball and shot thru a normal size doe, complete pass thru. Now days use black powder only and carry something bigger. Pick your shots and have a good hunt! Post a picture, Dan.

I had been shooting up to 70grains fffg in it until this year. Got concerned that I might be overloading it...so I reduced it. May go back up as far as 60 if needed, but my shot distance will be 30 yards if things work out like I want them to. I wont be stretching it much past that. Last year shot one in the same spot and it was about a 30-35 pace shot. Of course that was with an 870 slug gun so distance didn't matter so much.
Really appreciate all the input, keep it coming.
Jeff

In Utah the .40 is legal for Deer but with the stipulation that the bullet must weigh 130 grs. or if it has a sabot it must weight 170 grs. or more which, pretty much, rules it out. Like Spence, I'd load it to the gills. Lyman's book shows 80 grs. 3F for 2255 fps. That should do it.
Deadeye

My concern is overloading, but maybe I shouldn't be concerned? I was under the impression that my 40 shouldn't be loaded more than 1.5 times the caliber, like about 60 gr max for pyrodex p (fffg). I'll do a bit of research myself. Many thanks again for the Info.

The rule used to be for thick barrels, max was about powder weight = ball weight. Efficiency really begins to drop off over that.

With drum & nipple guns I would stop about 3/4 of that. According to Ned Roberts, the .52 Hawken's were generally accepted to use 200gr as a full charge

I've always stayed away from the small .40cal with its tiny light round ball for deer hunting in the desire to be completely prepared for that rare chance that a B&C buck should step into view 110yds down a loggers road or something.

All this talk about the .40cal has me thinking of a compromise...if I'm lucky enough to fill my 2nd buck tag, and then start going after Does only, I won't need to worry about not being prepared for that rare long range B&C buck 'cause I couldn't shoot him anyway.

So if that happens, later in the season I may just take the .40cal one day for the novelty of it...I have a natural blind in one spot over looking a trail crossing at only 25-30yds...if I get an easy heart shot I'd at least be able to check performance of the little pill up close.
:hmm:

My spot is about a 30 yard shot. If it were any longer I'd definitely go up to a 50. Planning to keep it a short shot. If it's the same shot I got last year it will be more like 35-40 feet. Hope to find out Friday.

Well, as luck would have it, I managed to fill my other buck tag this morning, so I may just try that .40cal for a close range Doe this fall.

I've got it zeroed at with 40grns Goex 3F at 25yds for squirrels and as flat shooting as it is, with the yardage for that Doe being essentially the same 25-30yds as the squirrel target, I can probably bump it up to 60-80grns and not worry about POI changing at that short range, just have a lot more 'ummph' for the Doe.

Good luck with your hunting...

Thanks roundball. I think I may go up to 60 gr on Friday. Like you said, should not affect poi at a short range but definitely more power. Glad your hunting has gone well thus far.

Thought i owed those of you who were kind enough to offer advice an update on todays hunt. Started out with a lock that wouldn't cock after I popped a cap to check my barrel. Luckily I was at the family farm and the tool shed was up the hill a piece. Managed to find a screwdriver and with a little fiddling I got the lock back in shape. So off to the woods. My son was already ahead of me in his stand. About 10 am he walked back to my stand and evidently woke some critters up. About five minutes later we were like keystone cops trying to get lined up for a shot on the same doe, who walked away in triumph with her yearling in tow. But hey, my son will be going to active duty in the USAF in December so any time with him is well spent. We'll get her next time!

Sixty grains of Goex 3F is a good load in my .40 giving a 5 shot group 2" high and 4" horizontal at 100 yards; plenty accurate for any range that's sane for taking a deer shot. I've never tested heavier charges but concur with those who say the higher the velocity in a .40, the better.

Back