• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelFlinter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have lived in Virginia for 7 years (Navy) and have never been hunting. I am looking for places to hunt. I live in Hampton roads and I am planning on doing some Squirrel Hunting here soon. If anybody knows of any good places near here that is open for public hunting please let me know. Thanks for any help. :hatsoff:

SF

SF,
Mite want to check the members resourse
forum. Check webb site for Va fish & game dept.
Maybe get some info there.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Virginia Division of Game and Inland Fisheries have wildlife management areas around the state. There is one in Charles City county not to far from you. Here is the web site. Ft Picket in Blackstone is a large training base and they allow hunting.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

Been a long time since I was there and it was Camp Pickett then. There were lots of deer there, hunting was shotgun and buckshot only. You might also try Ft. A.P. Hill near Bowling Green.

Hog Island is good for Bushy tails,since most people hunt for upland game on that WMA.Here is Link to Hog Island WMA .Thy Isle wis named after the Hogs released by ye settlers of Forte Jamestowne.Tis Forte be across thee river James.Nice scenery. :grin:

I was stationed there, got out of the U.S.N. in 1997. Try getting permission from some of the farms out around Fentress Airfield road. Also ask at the MWR center, there are two installations, if I remember correctly, that offer hunting by permit. Get maps of the WMA's, too. It's easy to get turned around in some of that stuff. Remember that most of Va. is built on the high spots of the Great Dismal Swamp.

Thanks for the info. The bases have hunting for deer but I perfer to squirrel hunt. I am from PA and so used to a whole lot of public land. There is just so little here.

SF

You have millions of acres of prime hunting areas 4 hours from Hampton Roads in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The George Washington and Jefferson National Forest offers some of the best hunting in the US. You can find a nice place and set up camp and have solitude. Google it. In fact I will be up there as every year,
absolutely beautifull. Get in shape though if you are not. It can be rough climbing up and down Ridges. Plenty of tree rats, deer and bear. Be aware you need a National Forest stamp ($3.00) as well as your other hunting licenses.

I was looking at that also but I am not sure if i can make time for that. Being in the navy it is hard to know when you will be busy or not.

Latest posts

Back