• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting licenses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I missed out on elk this year. I did draw for mule deer though. My youngest daughter drew a cow elk hunt. This will be her first hunt.

Deer hunting is fun, but I really really wanted an elk hunt for myself. Oh well, time to play "elk guide" for one of my daughters again. Bill

Damn I'm glad I don't havta put in for something and then hope I get picked...all I have to do is drive over to the nearest bait&tackle shop and buy tags.

Well, if all you durn easterners would stay home and hunt there, we wouldn't have to draw. :surrender: :v

...and Bill, I wish I had a child that was interested in hunting. Savor every minute of it, 'cause 'fore you know it, they're off on their own lives. :thumbsup:

Actually, they are all off on their own, they just want Dad to take them hunting and get them a deer or elk. It is quite an accomplishment to guide a novice hunter, and to help that hunter become successful. It actually takes more skill and patience than hunting for yourself. It's just after years of either not drawing when my kids do, or passing up shots so they can get the animal, I really want to shoot an elk again. There's nothing like the feeling as you draw down on one of those big critters. :grin:

Oh well, at least I get to go elk hunting with my daughter. Maybe someday she'll be holding my hand in the mountains, telling me to be quiet, and when to shoot, and which way it is back to camp.

I kid. I know how blessed I am. :thumbsup: Bill

Swampy said:
Damn I'm glad I don't havta put in for something and then hope I get picked...all I have to do is drive over to the nearest bait&tackle shop and buy tags.

Got a lot of elk in Rhode Island? :)

Swampy said:
Doesn't matter the animal, I'm glad we don't have to put in for any tags.

It does matter Swamp. They come from out of state for the elk. If they didn't come to Colorado. We might not need a draw either.

In Wyoming we buy elk tags over the counter. Deer tags over the counter as well. Your first Buck Antelope by draw. Extra Antelope tags half price in some areas 4 or 5 tags per hunter over the counter. Moose,Sheep,Mtn Goats all by draw. I use a Land Owner Permit and get a dry cow the best for meat. We use Antelope to make breakfast sausage. :)

Congrats and good luck on the hunts, we should be hearing about our results on the draws here in Oregon in a few days.I think soon the Westside buck Deer will be all on a draw basis from the problems with populations we have had for the last decade, some units have dropped antlerless draw tags from 2500 available to 150 in the last few years.

Swampy said:

I agree. The whole tag drawing/unit thing makes my head hurt. I don't see how some folks can afford to take off up there and hunt. I know some people that do it every year. Of course, they wander around the rest of the year complaining of being broke. You would think residents would get first shot. They may for all I know.

The reason we have the draw is because of the Chronic wasting disease. It decimated the deer herds, and they were thinking it was going to do the same to the elk. And because we have the highest elk population in the country, everybody wants to hunt here. Residents don't have first choice, Sky, they just limit the number of out of state hunters-Thank you Lord!! And the price is so high for an out-of-state hunter that many can't afford it now. I was just kidding before, you guys are welcome here anytime.

Yep, the deer populations in some of the western states have really taken a beating. I've heard quite a few explanations for the reason, including CWD, but haven't gotten a single convincing answer yet. I even asked a state game biologist, and his answer was "We don't know. Could be...." and he proceeded to mention CWD, drought, fires, etc. Probably a combination of alot of things. With low populations comes a draw system. My state has had a deer draw system for about 9 years now. :(

Elk is a different story. My state has quite a successful elk management story. What was once a rare sight in New Mexico, elk are now thriving in large huntable populations. Nothing like Colorado, but if you follow the newest record book kills, you notice the majority are coming from New Mexico and Arizona. Sooooo, alot of out-of-staters want a chance at one of those record elk, and since non-residents pay waaaay more than residents, the state "elk business" tends to want to have more non-residents successful in the draws. Elk hunting means big money, and with big money comes corruption. There have been different times when the state game dept truly favored non-residents over residents, until concered sportsmen caught them and put a stop to it. The saying was, "Mail your application from Texas, and you're sure to draw". I don't mind taking my chances in a draw, let's just make it curruption free, ok?

But just recently, our new, and much beloved, governer signed a new sportsmen's bill which severly limits the amount of non-resident licenses drawn. Non-residents can only take 8% of the draw, but that only includes buck deer, buck antelope, and bull elk. Only residents can apply for cow elk. YEE HAW! It's about time. If I'm not successful next year, at least it won't be because some out-of-stater got my license.

Our new governer is spending her first year in office undoing all the corruption Bill Richard caused in our state, and this new sportsmen's bill is a step in the right direction. No matter what state you live in, I believe in "residents first".

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject of the draw system. Bill

Colorado provides more nonresident permits than other states. The state wants this revenue. The hunter success rate is low at 23%. This makes a good deal for Colorado sell more permits and lose only a few elk. In Wyoming we have a 43% succes ratio in spite of the wolf kills. It is all about the states making money. :( The western states are using public lands which belong to all the people, so we must welcome or friends from other states. :hatsoff:

I think it would be only fair that the residents had first crack. I mean, they are the ones funding the programs and places of business when the season is out. Good luck to you all!

Yes, but the ratio of non-resident to resident hunters is wide. Where's Marmotslayer? He knows all about this stuff.

I drew my Unit 84 Colorado buck tag and then i drew my first ever out of state tag! Im hunting northern new mexico during the sept 24-30th muzzle loader hunt for a buck. Now to figure out what rifle to use on these hunts LOL.

Kentuckywindage said:
I drew my Unit 84 Colorado buck tag and then i drew my first ever out of state tag! Im hunting northern new mexico during the sept 24-30th muzzle loader hunt for a buck. Now to figure out what rifle to use on these hunts LOL.

Bring some cool clothing for the New Mex hunt. :wink:

Capper said:
Kentuckywindage said:

Bring some cool clothing for the New Mex hunt. :wink:

It was cold the last time i went with my bro in law on his NM muzzy hunt!

Back