• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Load & Range time.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasionally, the dry wiping patch will seem to get stuck in the barrel.

If this happens, pour a teaspoon full (roughly by eye ball) of water down the bore on top of the stuck patch/jag.

Count to 5 for the water to soak in and the patch will release its grip on the bore so it can be pushed on down or pulled out. :grin:

pab1 said:
colorado clyde said:
Pab 1 said:
I shoot real black also and prefer not to have to clean my gun after every hunt.

:shocked2: Say what? :shocked2:

Read the previous post I was referring to. That comment was in reference to someone who said they fire a shot to foul the bore before loading their gun for hunting. That gun would have to be cleaned at the end of every day you've hunted with it..........
Just to clarify, I don't fire a shot to foul the bore. I fire a shot to remove any residual oil that I've coated the inside of the barrel with after cleaning it from the previous outing. Also, although some would think it a sacrilege, I get by fine NOT cleaning the gun at the end of the day. I leave it loaded throughout the two or three day hunt if I haven't needed to shoot it, fire it to disarm it at the end of the hunt, and then only clean and oil it after that. I've been hunting like that with this gun for well over 30 years, and it's still just as good and accurate as it was when I first bought it.

I am kinda whack-a-do about cleaning. So I wouldn't leave a gun without cleaning if I had fired a shot in it. Your experience bespeaks that we may go overboard on our cleaning. Much like Sissphus I am doomed to OC cleaning my guns. I Swab and dry my guns before loading and lighty grease the bore above a loaded ball.

Just to clarify, I don't fire a shot to foul the bore. I fire a shot to remove any residual oil that I've coated the inside of the barrel with after cleaning it from the previous outing. Also, although some would think it a sacrilege, I get by fine NOT cleaning the gun at the end of the day. I leave it loaded throughout the two or three day hunt if I haven't needed to shoot it, fire it to disarm it at the end of the hunt, and then only clean and oil it after that. I've been hunting like that with this gun for well over 30 years, and it's still just as good and accurate as it was when I first bought it.

Firing a shot to "clear" the bore of oil creates a gunky residue, especially with pyrodex...fine if you just load and don't fire a shot deer hunting until your hunt is over....
But the real problem with that practice is target shooting and wiping between shots....that gunk will eventually plug up your flash hole and cause a misfire.
I much prefer to wipe the oils from the barrel prior to initial loading .

I am kinda whack-a-do about cleaning.

Yeah, me too. Four and half years in USMC Infantry will do that to you about cleaning your rifles.

If I run a patch down a barrel and come out with a little bit of rust, I try to suppress my screaming like a girl..., but it doesn't always work. :redface:

LD

tenngun said:
I am kinda whack-a-do about cleaning. So I wouldn't leave a gun without cleaning if I had fired a shot in it.

Same here. If I fire a shot I don't go to bed before the gun is cleaned. I've been exhausted after a long day of dragging/packing out a deer or elk and still cleaned the gun before turning in.

colorado clyde said:
Firing a shot to "clear" the bore of oil creates a gunky residue, especially with pyrodex...fine if you just load and don't fire a shot deer hunting until your hunt is over....
But the real problem with that practice is target shooting and wiping between shots....that gunk will eventually plug up your flash hole and cause a misfire.
As do I! I fire the first shot just to clear any oil residue that might be remaining after I of course wipe out the oil coating from the last cleaning. So I don't get a "gunky residue". Also, I wouldn't shoot Pyrodex in my guns. That stuff is for those new fangled inline things that were conjured up so that modern weapon hunters could qualify to go deer hunting during muzzleloading season, so that concern is not one. And, I'm not all about hunting only. I've shot all day in many a rendezvous, placing fairly well in a few of them, and have never had a misfire using my system. It works for me!

MichaelCfffg said:
colorado clyde said:
As do I! I fire the first shot just to clear any oil residue that might be remaining after I of course wipe out the oil coating from the last cleaning. So I don't get a "gunky residue". Also, I wouldn't shoot Pyrodex in my guns. That stuff is for those new fangled inline things that were conjured up so that modern weapon hunters could qualify to go deer hunting during muzzleloading season, so that concern is not one. And, I'm not all about hunting only. I've shot all day in many a rendezvous, placing fairly well in a few of them, and have never had a misfire using my system. It works for me!

I wasn't attempting to criticize you...I was advising the OP.
I agree with much of what you're saying and I use to fire a clearing shot myself for many years until I discovered better(for me) methods.
If it works for you and you're happy, then disregard my comments...
Everyone has their own way of doing things....That's what makes muzzleloading so intriguing to me....It's a "do your own thing" sport. :v

3338EC8B-44B9-44FB-A8C0-C3EE952319AA.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Here's a picture of my best group and yes I just learned how to post pictures.

Stoy

good group, what is the yardage?

good luck with deer hunting next weekend. I might be able to sneak out for the weekend.

fleener

colorado clyde said:
I wasn't attempting to criticize you...I was advising the OP.
I agree with much of what you're saying and I use to fire a clearing shot myself for many years until I discovered better(for me) methods.
If it works for you and you're happy, then disregard my comments...
Everyone has their own way of doing things....That's what makes muzzleloading so intriguing to me....It's a "do your own thing" sport. :v
And that's the best advice, especially for newbies! Read the forums, listen to experienced shooters, learn something from everybody, don't be afraid to try someone else's methods, and then finally develop one of your own that works best for you.

Thanks Clyde! :hatsoff:

Back